Kenmore Gas Dryer Ignites, soon shuts off

Old 09-11-05, 02:03 PM
DMan
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Gas Dryer Ignites, soon shuts off

Hello,

I just finished reading Roadglide98's post, and the gas dryer faq. Very good info.

We have an old Kenmore WrinkleGuard I model 77972100. It ignites, burns for a minute or so, then shuts off. Most of the time it stays off. Occasionally I have seen it automatically re-ignite.

Based on the info from the faq, what components can I/should I test, and in what order? Solenoids are $60, so I'd like to know before I buy a set that its definitely the solenoids, and not the temp sensor or flame sensor or high limit sensor.

Thanks in advance!

Denis

Old 09-12-05, 05:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Denis

Check the venting system. If it is plugged up and/or restricted in any way, the dryer will shut off on the high limit safety. (Overheating Safety).

Disconnect the entire venting system from the back of the machine and attempt to dry a load. Note the results, as described in the FAQ. Based on the results of that test will determine what needs to be done.

Old 09-17-05, 04:40 AM
DMan
Visiting Guest
Sharp,

Havent done the test yet. Just want to make clear that when I say the dryer shuts off, just the burner shuts down, but the drum keeps spinning.

Do I continue to test the vent? Its clean as a whistle and has been in the same configuration for years...

Denis

Old 09-17-05, 10:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Denis

Yes. I understand what is meant by shutting off. Common condition. Burner shuts off and the dryer continues to operate. (Drum keeps rotating)

If the burner shuts off and the venting system is positively not the problem, including a freely moving exhaust hood flapper door, than likely one of the two solenoids on the gas control valve is dropping out. Which shuts down gas flow to the burner and the burner shuts off.

I would suggest still doing the test anyway. Vent entirely off the machine and note what happens. I prefer to be as accurate as possible in the diagnostic procedure as possible. Doing so avoids replacing parts which will not correct the problem.

Based on your quote "burns for a minute or so, then shuts off. Most of the time it stays off. Occasionally I have seen it automatically re-ignite."

The above described problem or condition can be caused by a defective solenoid. Not exclusively but likely to be a solenoid. May be yet another part too. Rather than changing parts that will not fix the problem, checking the venting system should be done first, imo.

A clogged venting system will cycle the burner on and off. So will a defective solenoid coil once the coil cools down, in the case of a defective solenoid coil.

So will a high temp limit safety switch once it senses a cooler exhaust temp. Same applies to the flame switch, which is located on the burner shroud. Choice is which part to replace? Testing and diagnostics will reveal the true cause of the problem.

Run the test and note the results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: