Installation Of Gas Range/oven

Old 09-12-05, 08:11 AM
fadilz
Visiting Guest
Question Installation Of Gas Range/oven

I recently purchased a maytag gas stove to replace my existing stove. The new stove is about 6 years old, but never used ( still in original wrap). What are the steps to removing the old and replacing the new stove ? Are there any additional issues I should be aware of due to the age of the new stove ?

I'm a novice, but I'll try anything one or even twice ?

Old 09-12-05, 05:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello fadilz and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

What kind of gas? Natural or propane???

If you have hand tools and are handy using them, turn off the gas supply. Should be a shut off valve on the gas supply line behind the existing appliance. Disconnect the gas supply tube or line at the shut off valve.

Install the new appliance using a new flex gas tube and parts. Do not use any existing old parts if possible. Will need far more specific and detailed info as to what is already there connected to the current stove and fuel type.

If the appliance is using natural gas, replace the existing flex, with the newest type of stainless steel flex line. May have to also replace the existing shut off valve to match the new flex natural gas tube.

Also required will be the replacement of both adapter ends of the flex line. The adapter ends are the male/female ends the connector attaches to.

In most cases, one end of the connector is attached to a shut-off valve installed on the supply gas feed pipe exiting the wall behind the appliance.

The replacement of this shut-off valve will most likely be required when replacing the existing connector and upgrading to the newest type of stainless steel connector.

The other end of the flex line will be attached to an adapter, installed on the inlet gas pipe of the appliance. This existing adapter must be replaced too. Use the new replacement male/female end adapter that is compatible with the new connector.

The above instructions and suggestions are for natural gas. They may not apply to propane.

An excellent source for the replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites:http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 09-18-05, 05:57 AM
fadilz
Visiting Guest
I have propane gas. The new stove is currently set up for natural gas. are there any additional parts or steps for installation ?

Old 09-20-05, 08:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: fadilz

Lots of work ahead. Entire stove has to be converted from nat gas to propane and the stove properly connected to the propane gas supply. May be best to have the propane supplier connect and convert the appliance. Much to much details would need to be explained here in a text only format. Making it rather difficult. Doable but difficult.

Basically, install the new stove as the existing one presently is. Than convert the new stove from natgas to propane. I am not presently and never was a propane installation tech. Codes and installation methods vary.

Consult a local professional, dealer and or appliance parts store for conversion methods and needed parts. A 6 year old appliance is not likely to need many parts, if any.

The oven thermostat conversion is usually only one set screw turned from the nat gas setting into the propane setting. Appliance regulator likely to only be a turn of a lever or handle on the regulator. More info can be obtained at local appliances stores and in the owners manual. Link in the forum topic also covers fuel conversion information.

Old 09-25-05, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most major brand stoves including as far back as your 6 year old unit came with an LP conversion kit. It consisted of new orifices for the burners and the oven. Also , there were directions for turning a "switch" on the regulator. If you do not still have a kit, it is probably available from your propane dealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: