Uninstall/Install Gas Stove

Old 09-22-05, 06:57 PM
TLSFN
Visiting Guest
Question Uninstall/Install Gas Stove

I have a Kennemore Natural Gas Stove that I need to unhook. I will then need to install a new stove I bought from Lowes. The Lowes folks will only deliver the new and take away the old stove.

For my current stove. I just tried pulling it away from the wall to find out, well it is connected to a gas line that is in the wall. Not the best start. Luckily I figured things out soon enough. So I lifted the stove top and see the gas line. To the best I can tell the gas line comes out the wall. Then hits the valve. Then has another piece that runs into a part that I believe is part of the stove. I believe this is true because the pipe changes color at this point. Now where the wall pipe meets the stove pipe there is this thing. I know a very technical term. It appears to be the piece of pipe that connects the wall pipe to the stove pipe. It is like 3 inches long and sort of big. Do I need a certain tool to disconnect this? Is it just as simple as getting a wrench?

I hope this makes sense. I have never done this before but assume I don't have a special situation here. I just don't know enough to do it.

Old 09-22-05, 09:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello TLSFN. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Replacing a stove can be a do-it-yourself project. But one needs to be handy with hand tools and have some degree of mechanical abilities. Some piping work may be required. You'll need 2 pipe wrenches and 1 adjustable 12 inch wrench. You'll also have to remove the current gas connection parts all the way down to the gas supply pipe.

You will have to turn off the entire gas supply, at the main inlet to the house, which is usually at the meter. The turn off valve, at the meter for a single family house, is on the pipe extending up out of the ground.

The existing older connectors, adaptors, etc. usually do not fit the newer stoves and ranges. You'll have to install a new gas shutoff valve on the supply pipe and complete stove gas flex-line and adaptors.

An excellent source for gas shutoff valves, gas flex-lines, etc installation parts is at your local retail appliance parts store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Another source may be a privately owned local retail hardware store. I personally suggest local and private as a better means of finding knowledgeable assistance but it may not always be the case in some areas.

Disclaimers:
Removal and installation requirements vary from installation to installation. Some installations are based upon energy source used as fuel {Nat Gas or Propane} and existing connections.

Codes vary widely. Check with your local building and safety department. Some electrical work may also be needed to make available a grounded 3 prong electrical receptacle available.

Suggestions:
Contact your propane gas supplier if propane is used and or the local natural gas company if natural gas is used, prior to turning off or on any natural gas meter for installation of new appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps the topic up at the top of the list automatically.

Old 09-23-05, 04:56 AM
TLSFN
Visiting Guest
Question Uninstall/Install Gas Stove

Thanks for the advice. My question now is. Can I turn off the gas just at the stove during removal? Then when I install turn gas off at the point of entry into my condo when I replace the gas valve?

The stove guy is coming today and I just found out my condo on-site guy will not be around so I doubt I can get the main gas shut off today. Since I would hate to have to reschedule my delivery I would like to unhook today then hook sometime next week. But I obviously want to be safe.

Thanks again

Old 09-23-05, 06:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: TLSFN

Yes. The process can be done in two seperate steps. The shut off valve behind the stove can be shut off just to remove the appliance. And most likely there will be a need to shut off the gas to the entire condo unit you live in to replace the shut off valve that is on the gas supply pipe.

In most condo unit complexes, each unit has it's own meter. Shuting off the gas meter to only your unit requires knowing exactly which shut off valve supplies gas to only your unit. On a header (bank of meters) the shut off valve is on the inlet side (Left Side) of the meter. The meter will or at least should have your condos unit number on the meter somewhere.

Have the appliance delivered today. Have the installer/delivery person do all that he/she can do at that time. If the person cannot or will not install the new shut off valve while the gas remains on, than do the balance of the job when the supply gas to your specific unit can be turned off.

It is not all that uncommon for a professional to remove an old gas shut off valve and install a new one while the gas remains on. However, not an adviseable method for anyone whom is not well experienced and trained to be fully prepared and well aware of any safety hazards, etc.

Live installations (gas remains on) are not recommended to be done by any d-i-y person, handyman nor for the less experienced and/or faint of heart.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: