Amana Gas Dryer won't heat

Old 10-03-05, 10:55 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Amana Gas Dryer won't heat

I have just installed my gas dryer again, after not being used for a year and now it doesn't work. I have never had problems with it before. It was working before I disconnected it, but now it doesn't heat up. I have checked the gas line and gas is going through, but no heat. I have checked all electrical connections and find all to be connected, with no corrosion. I read through many of the forums, but cannot pin point how to correct the problem. When I turn on the dryer, I hear the first clicking noise, but not the second (after waiting at least 1 minute), the coin does light up, but no fire. I do not smell gas when the dryer is on or off, but I know that gas is going through the line! Should I replace the gas valve coil? Any ideas or helpful information? This is the "Designer Series" model. Model #LGM449W. Thank you.

Last edited by Christlike; 10-03-05 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Found half a solution to my problem
Old 10-03-05, 05:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Christlike. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you hear one click, that solenoid valve is opening to be ready to allow gas to flow and is also allowing the (HSI) Hot Surface Ignitor glow. Once the HSI reaches a hot enough temp to ignite the gas, the socond solenoid opens with a heard second click.

One click may indicate the HSI is too weak to ignitor gas, so the second solenoid does not open. Which is likely caused be a defective solenoid. Solenoids are replaced in pairs. Not too expensive and rather easy to replace. Might be worth a try. At least before replacing an ignitor.

However, sitting unused it is also likely or possible the HSI got moisture, etc on it and now will not or cannot reach a hot enough temp to ignite gas. My suggestion is to replace both the ignitor and the solenoids, since the machine sat unused for some time. Neither part is all that expensive and the entire gas control valve has to come out anyway to replace those parts.

One other possiblity, there is a tiny gas shut off valve to the right hand side of the gas control. That valve is an isolation line valve. Be sure it is in the on position. The lever must be parallel (in line) to the gas supply pipe. May not be on. Double check it.

The union hex nut turns clock wise to unscrew it. Not counter-clock wise. Clock wise. The control valve is mounted on a plate. The plate is screwed down to the bottom of the machine. Remove the plate screws to remove the entire assembly after turning of the gas at the tiny isolation line.

Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 10-04-05, 11:48 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Reply to last post

The ignitor does glow bright (HSI), but I do know that the washing machine did sit out in the cold and most likely did get moisture to it. The tiny gas valve inside the dryer is turned on. Everything is open! I want to ask advice on something though, after reading the last reply...would it be okay to turn on the dryer (then the HSI lights up) AND then take a long stick match and see if I can light it up manually, just to see if in fact the HSI is bad? I know for a fact that I do not hear that second click. The dryer is probably 6-7 years old and to replace all those parts probably wouldn't be worth it? Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-04-05, 05:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Christlike

No gas comes out of the control until the second solenoid opens. Which does not happen if the ignitor is too weak glowing or the second solenoid is defective. So a match test would not prove anything. No gas no flame.

A dryer of 6-7 yrs old isn't all that old and worth fixing, if you can do it yourself or an ignitor and a set of solenoids is replaced. The choice is yours. Fix it yourself or replace it. A choice I cannot make.

All I can tell you is many dryers of that age do get fixed. Installing the gliding pads the drun rotates on and cleaning lint and dust of of the cabinet is about all it would take and it would be like new.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: