Gas Stove Burners Won't Light

Old 10-07-05, 07:30 AM
JanuarysRose
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Stove Burners Won't Light

Hi!

I'm having a problem with my stove that is on going. It's a Hotpoint, I'm not sure how old. I'm pretty sure it's an electronic ignitor since it clicks when I try to turn the burners on.

A month ago, all 4 burners went out. I only use one. I had someone come in and check it, they told me the pilot light itself just needs to be cleaned. (I have no idea how to do that anyway...)

This past weekend, two burners went out, then all four again. I called someone out again, they told me the pilot light just needs to be cleaned, and to wait awhile for it to turn on. (I've waited, they don't catch, just the gas smell.) Again, I'm not sure what to do. I didn't think you had to clean pilot lights with electronic ignitors, or with pilot lights. And, it doesn't make sense to me as there are two ignition points, 4 burners going out, and I only use one. The burners have been cleaned, so nothing should be obstructing them.

Again last night, they've all gone out. I haven't used it since it was looked at. I checked, and I don't see any sparks in the ignitor when the knobs are turned, just the clicking noise and gas smell.
Any ideas as to what's wrong/how to fix it? Thanks!!

Last edited by JanuarysRose; 10-07-05 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 10-09-05, 11:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello JanuarysRose. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Clarifying the situations and conditions needs to be done so we can proceed with a better diagnosis. The fact that there is sparkers heard clicking indicates the stove does not have pilots. You are correct about that issue. So that aspect can be ignored. No pilots to clean....

However, the location of the sparkers may be important. If they are visable by being alongside the burners and not producing sparks which are visable but in fact clicking, there is a short circuit in the system. the electrical power is not getting to the sparkers electrodes.

The spark may be shorting out through or at the side of the ceramic and/or through a wire where the insulation coating is damaged, at a point where a wire connection is made and/or at a terminal end, etc.

Point above is, there is likely to be a short circuit and/or electrical grounding condition, etc. where the electrical current is not making it to the spark ignitors electrode end. May require a professional to locate and correct.

Clarification point needed. When you say goes out or gone out, I suspect you mean the sparkers are not working. Meaning not sparking....??? Not meant is burner flames going or gone out after being lighted...correct???

Sparkers will all fire regardless of which burner is to be used or which knob is turned on to ignite a burner. All sparkers will fire.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Kindly use the reply button to add the additional information. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Old 10-09-05, 05:35 PM
JanuarysRose
Visiting Guest
Thanks for answering!

By going out, I mean they won't light. There is an ignitor in the center of two burners on each side of the stove (2 ignitors total), then there's a small space, then a thin pipe attched to/leading to the burner itself. They have worked again briefly after I had someone come out who supposedly "cleaned the pilot light." I don't know how they started up again.
The short circuit was something I hadn't thought of; I was thinking the ignitor wouldn't be worn out if it started up again then went out or if I can hear the clicking. Thanks so much!

Old 10-09-05, 07:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Making Good Progress

Hello: Rose

The location of the spark ignitors is a major point to help me determine another possible cause. Thanks for including that key aspect....

The ignition ports are likely clogged up. The ports are tiny holes going up the side of the burner head. The holes will be facing the ignitor which sparks and now we know is centered is between the two burners.

The area around those sparkers must be clean also. Clean that area, if need but do not use any cleaning chemicals or water or any liquids. A cloth should do well enough. Also a must to be cleaned (if needed) is the tube that allows the gas comming out of the ignition ports (on the sides of the round burners) to reach the sparking ignitors between the burners.

The tiny holes (Ignition Ports) can be cleaned, if needed, using a straight pin. CAUTION: Do not enlarge those holes. Bigger is not better in this case. Bigger holes creates huge problems. Just clean them out, if needed.

Do all this and reply back with the results.
Chances are the results will resolve the problem.

Old 10-12-05, 10:11 AM
JanuarysRose
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I've tried cleaning the burner holes as you said, and also cleaned the pilot light area and burner tops (whole nine yards) as per the links on the site instruct. It worked for a day, and now it's gone out again. That leaves the circuit? Thanks!

Old 10-12-05, 08:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: J. R.

If all the sparkers fail to spark at all, Your quote: "That leaves the circuit?" very likely the module burned out. Rare but possible.

If only one sparker failed but the other 3 still work, use those burners and not the one that failed. Or you will have to replace the one defective sparker. Can be removed often easily. Take to local appliance store and replace with an exact (OEM) duplicate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: