Thermador Stovetop: low flow burners shut unit off

Old 10-09-05, 01:11 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermador Stovetop: low flow burners shut unit off

Hi-

I have an 8 year old thermador dual fuel oven RDDS30V. It has two burners on the left that have the extra low flow feature (cycling on and off). Now when I turn them on, they will cycle through a few time, and then the whole unit will reset: electric oven (if on) will go off, clock resets, etc. The burners and the rest of the unit work fine as long as I don't use the extra low simmer feature.

I've seen some parts that may be the culprit: simmer power control module and potentiometers. Does that sound right? What's a logical way to attack this problem?

Thanks

-E

Old 10-09-05, 01:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello E. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

HUMMM. Interesting. I suspect these two burners are like or similar to those used in the older Okef & Merrit stoves. Which had a temperature controlled burner. Which used an oven thermostat as the temp control.

Each temp controlled burner had a center of the burner sensor that automatically adjusted the flame size to control the temperature. When the sensor became defective, the thermostat was not able to accurately control the temp.

When these types of burners sensors failed, they often failed in the high burner setting. Which did not really matter because the food item usually cooked in a pot on such a burner contained a liquid. The liquid, which cannot reach a temp above boiling temp (212 degrees) anyway. Yet the dial had a 550 degree setting.... of an oven temp control.

Control module likely defective and/or the main computers temp control section (on the circuit board) is defective. Which may be evident by the cycling and the resetting of the controls on the display.

Read This Post For possible additional helpful information:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159808.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals, which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information and or questions. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-28-07, 03:05 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Thermador Cooktop Gas Flow Problem

I have a six burner Thermador cooktop with star burners, and the two "ultra-low" burners on the left.

Very often (but not always) the gas does not flow to ANY burner when you turn one or more on. Ultra low or regular, no different. The igniters just click click click for up to 2-3 minutes, then finally gas flows normally to all burners. After that, they behave well until the next day, and this problem recurs.

What to do???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: