Servel [camping style] refrigerator

Old 10-15-05, 09:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Servel [camping style] refrigerator

I have the old Servel refrigerator and I would like to know the best way to clean the burner, it runs good and I want to keep it that way. I know all about the recall. Thanks

Old 10-15-05, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: slls

I wasn't even about to mention the recall....

To clean the burner and the area around it, what works best for the techs is compressed air. A low pressure and volume works best. Can be done by a diy'er using a household vacuum, if the flex tubing can be installed into the air discharge side of the vacuum.

Another method is a shop vacuum. Reverse the hose and blow out the dust. Either method works. Once completed, relight the pilot.

Additional Suggestions:
While in this process of cleaning, also clean the door gaskets and the door frame, where the gaskets meet the door frame, etc.

Be sure to clean the fan and the areas around it too, if there is a fan. Also any coils that radiate the heat removed from the interior of the frig.

Yearly cleaning and checking is a wise idea to further extend the service life of the appliance. Not many of the gas refrigerators left. At least not so around this area.

*Personal Opinion (IMO):
The CO (carbon monoxide) scare caused many to be sold off to wholesalers and or to the power companies. Simple cleaning and minor adjustments, (IMO) would have prevented any carbon monoxides from being produced. Serviced many gas refrigerators during my time in the service industry field.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-15-05, 03:58 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Burners seldom need cleaning on Servel's. What does need cleaning is the flue system. I have a way to clean however not for DYI. Do you have a compressor handy? If yes, Try and put an extention on the gun so you can blow air from the bottom up. Try and not extinguish the burner flame. Those clixon type safeties are hard to find if they fail, so why take a chance on cooling down and failing. (it may never happen but why tempt it) What year is yours. Also is this your primary fridge?

Old 10-16-05, 06:48 AM
S
Thanks for the replies Sharp Advice and mbk3. The age I donít know, the old style, I would guess the forties. Itís a camp unit, very common in Maine to have these in camps. A 100 lb of propane and it runs the cook stove, lights and fridge, no electric. I am not the average DIY, retired tech. I work on just about anything , from airplane to lawn mowers, if it has moving parts I most likely have worked on it. I have an air bottle I can take to camp. By burner I guess I meant the flue. When I bought it 20 yrs ago for $75 it had a gas leak near the burner, tried lots seals and gaskets to repair and nothing worked. I then thought of high-temp red silicone and it has not leaked since. Thanks

Old 10-16-05, 10:44 AM
M
Sounds like you are on top of it. Actually I believe there is a guy in Maine that does Servel work. I will try and find his name for you.

Old 10-16-05, 10:58 AM
M
Go to Google and type in servel refrigerator service. Good info

Old 10-16-05, 03:18 PM
S
His place is about 30 miles from me, he sells service manuals but I am trying to find one online for the old style. I found one for the new style, no luck yet on the old. Do you know where I might find one online? Thanks

Old 10-16-05, 07:55 PM
M
Give the model & serial #'s and I will look at my old work for year. We have an old servel book that gives year if you have other info

Old 10-17-05, 01:15 PM
S
The Servel is 65 miles away, too far with the price of gas, most likely won't go there until spring. I could be wrong but I thought all the original Servel were basically the same. Thanks

Old 10-18-05, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Additional Possible Solutions

Hi: slls

Alternate possible suggestion. Have you visited the local camping and RV stores in your area? Try them, if there are any close enough by you. Camper rental and or dealers and RV slaes and/or rental dealers also fix their own rental equipment and those of owners. They also have service manuals and parts, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: