Amana Range: Oven won't work

Old 10-31-05, 06:48 AM
RonnoBonno
Visiting Guest
Amana Range: Oven won't work

Hello Fellow Do-It-Yourselfers,

I recently had a lightning strike that took out some electronics in the house.

I didn't think of putting a surge on my Amana ARG7800E Gas Range(1997), so it was affected.

I lost the Electronic Clock Module. I was able to purchase a new module for about $150. It was easy to take out the old module and put the new module in, but now the oven/broiler do not work(Clock, burners, lights, etc. everything works but oven/broiler)

I cannot find my manual. I am wondering if there is a pilot to light? I do not see any red/glowing/anything when I put on the oven/broiler. I do hear the relays click on the Controller module when I atttempt to turn on the oven.

I don't think I could have reconnected the module wrong, the connectors are different sizes, keyed, and the cable harness has the bends to the appropriate connectors after 8 years of age.

Is there a pilot to light? If so how? If there isn't a pilot, could an oven igniter have been fried by the same lightning strike?

Yes, I do now have a surge on my Gas oven. I also put a surge on the Amana Microwave. I would STRONGLY recommended people take a look at putting surges on everything. Even the garage door openers, when the lightning strikes it will kill everything. It took out the cable box, but forturnately, the cable company replaced the box without questions.

Thanks,
Ronno Bonno

Old 10-31-05, 05:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Ronno and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

I have seen several houses, during my years in the field, struck by lightening. Usually everything electrical gets replaced. Usually covered by homeowners insurance.

Since the range has already been fixed with one expensive componet, chances are you will have to now replace all the hot surface glow ignitors, (no pilots) and one or both oven and broiler gas valves.

Some models have two burners, one each for the oven and one for the seperate broiler. Unless the range only has one burner. Either way, very likely both parts or all those parts are destroyed too.

Often times even the wire end terminals get fired as well as the wiring, etc. In cases where they aren't, always more problems will be found until almost all parts, etc are replaced. If it is not too late, and you have insurance coverage, call the insurance company. Washer and dryer also very likely effected if you also have those appliances....

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-01-05, 12:23 PM
RonnoBonno
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks. I ordered the 3 ignitors for the oven

Thanks, I ordered the 3 ignitors for the oven. The oven is 8 years old, so new ignitors are a good idea. I also ordered the service manual.

I will post a follow-up after I get it working again.

Old 11-15-05, 09:38 AM
RonnoBonno
Visiting Guest
ARG7800E Job Complete: Oven working

I thought I would post a follow-up message for the next person who does a search on the Amana oven & the display not working.

I replaced the the clock module(about $150). It was very easy to replace. The oven/broiler still did not work.

Someone replied that the lightning strike probably destroyed the ignitors. I ordered and replaced the ignitors. (Don't forget to shut off electricity & gas to range when working on it).

This fixed the Amana gas range. I now have brand new ignitors in the 8 year old range with a new clock module. Replacing the ignitors was fairly easy. I did need to take off the side panel to get at the connector for the bake ignitor.

Of course, while the stove was out I put a surge protector so this won't happen again. While I was at, I added a surge for the microwave, the washer, the dryer, ...

I also found out that besides the Model Number that I needed the Manufacturing Number to order the parts. This information was located on the drawer under the oven.

I ordered the User Guide & Service manual from www.amana.com. Both were reasonably priced. I also found the parts page on the Amana web site had a good assembly drawing with parts list. I could order the replacement parts at this site, but I found another site: www.pcappliancerepair.com that had slightly better prices.

All together it was a few hours work to carefully pull apart & reassemble the stove. When you turn on the oven or broiler, it takes a minute before the gas turns on. The ignitors will start to glow and then the gas will turn on.

Good Luck to all the DIY'ers out there.

Next, DIY project is to replace a switch in the water dispenser on the side-by-side refridgerator...

RonnoBonno

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: