Magic Chef oven does not turn on

Old 11-03-05, 08:34 PM
Trebbor
Visiting Guest
Magic Chef oven does not turn on

I've read many of the threads in this forum and believe I now know the answer, but to be on the safe side I thought I should check this once again. I have a 3 year old Magic Chef gas range model CGS3760ADC that fails to turn on the oven burner. The broiler works fine. You can see the glow of the ignitor, but the oven doesn't turn on. My wife tells me that it eventually turns on but makes a small explosion when it does and there's a gas smell. I suspect a bad ignitor. Please help.

Old 11-04-05, 03:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Trebbor. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Your suspicions are most likely correct. Replace the hot surface ignitor (HSI) as the first attempt to correct the problem.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

If you need further assistance use the reply button. Doing so keeps the question at the top of the daily list automatically.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Old 11-06-05, 05:01 PM
Trebbor
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

Thanks for the confirmation. I went to Reliable and picked up the bake ignitor. Cost about one tenth of the total range cost! Ouch! Thought the job would be simple but one of the bolts holding the old ignitor stripped immediately. Ended up using a hacksaw to cut it off. The new ignitor worked like a charm. It's a shame that these things burn out after only 3 years. Not much quality in a Maytag any longer.

Old 11-06-05, 07:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Trebbor

Brand name is not the actual cause. Maytag is a good brand as are all the other residential brands. Almost all ranges and or stoves with ovens and or build in ovens use the Hot Surface Ignitors (HSI) if they have been built in the last 20 yrs or so.

The HSI is used to replace to constant burning pilot flame which served no real purpose when the oven was not used. Based upon how the ignitor is made and used for it's intended purpose, 3 yrs isn't to bad time wise. Some have been known to not last even that long... But they are now easier to fix for the techs and to do it yourselfers too....

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: