Natural gas deisel odor help needed!!!

Old 11-04-05, 11:19 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unhappy Natural gas deisel odor help needed!!!

We have a natural gas powered hot water heater, heating boiler, clothes dryer, oven, and range. For the last few weeks each appliance gives of an odor while a flame is lit - like deisel fumes. To me it means there's either incomplete combustion or some type of change in the gas. I can't fathom how all 5 appliances would develop a combustion problem at the same time.

The gas company came out and said that they can't smell a thing and that their meter showed no gas leaks and no CO.

I think something is up that the gas company won't admit to...

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? The situation is something we can't ignore - the house stinks and even the inside of the freezer has accumulated this smell.

Please respond.

Thank you!

Old 11-04-05, 05:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Kerosene Odors And Or Diesel Fume Odors

Hello syakoban and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

The kerosene/diesel odor is usually nothing to worry about. Especially if you are presently or have been recently using an type of petroleum based and or oil based product.

It's a common after effect of using such products and usually the result of some petroleum product recently used in the home. Could be an oil based paint, a stain, wood finishing or sealer product, adhesive, sealant and or any such product, etc.

Any product that contains a flammable solvent or oil based product will do this. I bet you had one of those products used in the home recently. Prior to this, the odor didn't exist and it will be gone as soon as the product dries and or cures. Until such a time as any of these type products dries and or cures, the best thing to do is ventilate the house as best as possible.

Another clue is if any petroleum based and or oil based product has been recently used indoors or in an nearby room or area. If the odor problem did not appear prior to any petroleum based and or oil based product was used.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-07-05, 06:01 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you Sharp Advice for the answer.

Thinking about it... a floor cleaner was used to prep concrete for ceramic tile and that would have been petroleum based. But the smell has been going on for a long while.

Can you explain why this occurs? I know some how the vapors are "dirtying" the gas combustion.

Old 11-07-05, 05:16 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: syakoban.

Your thought is close to right. The invisable vapors that are smelled but not seen are being chemically changes into the odor that smells like kerosene/diesel. Basically the vapors are burning.

Once the petro product cures or new material is no longing being applied, the curing will stop and so will the vapors and odors. Ventilation helps.

Running the dryer for ten minutes (after the normal ending of the drying cycle) on "Fluff" or "Air Dry" will purge out the smell from within the clothes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: