Kenmore Cooktop Range Ignitors

Old 11-05-05, 05:36 AM
jgrimard
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Cooktop Range Ignitors

I Have a Kenmore model # 790.75715890 free standing range. I replaced all of the burners on it as they were coroded. Now the ignitors work very sporaticly.You can here the ignitor module working, and if I take one of the wires that go to the burner ignitors off I get a nice 1/2" blue spark. The ignitors only get a spark once and a while and not all at once. I also found that if I ground any one of the ignitors, the other three will work. Now I am very stumped.
Please help if you can.
Thanks,
Jaicin

Last edited by jgrimard; 11-05-05 at 08:09 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 11-05-05, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Jaicin. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

When you reinstalled the sparkers, are you sure you replaced them exactly where they where? On the same burners? Connected the wires exactly as they where? All this matters. Also connected to the exact same switches if you disconnected them there also or disconnected them at all.

Also reconnect the sparkers correctly to the burners, if that is the type. Those that are connected to the burners. Some sparkers are not attached to the burners directly. Not Grounding the sparkers to the burners is required for proper operation.

The grounding takes place at the burner when the sparker is in operation. A grounding condition diverts the spark away from the spark element instead of to the burner head. Kind of short circuit.

Crossed wiring, at the sparkers and or to and or from the switches will also effect the current flow. No noise or sounds will be heard from a spark module. They are a solid state circuitry. No moving parts. Only noise may be from cross wiring heard at the sparkers.

Module not likely to last long if wired incorrectly or appliance is not properly grounded in the main electrical wiring or it's own power cord, or electrical wall outlet is not grounded properly, etc.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals, which may be available online.

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information and or questions. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Old 11-05-05, 08:13 AM
jgrimard
Visiting Guest
replaced sparkers

I replaced the whole burner. It comes with the sparker attached. I edited my thread to include that if ground out one of the sparkers on any one burner, the other three will work. There is only one wire per burner/sparker. The burner attaches directly to the gas supply tube of each burner
Jaicin

Last edited by jgrimard; 11-05-05 at 08:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: