oven won't light

Old 11-09-05, 07:41 AM
schaefje
Visiting Guest
oven won't light

I have a 20 year old Kenmore gas wall oven which will not light. When this all started, it came up to temperature (375) just fine. I put in my dinner and an hour later, the burner was out and the temp. was 175 and decreasing. Attempts to turn oven back on have all failed. Since it is so old, I am reluctant to have a service rep out to look at it and am willing to purchase a new oven. However, they no longer make this size gas oven (30" high) as they all have a separate broiler drawer that our current one lacks. The electric models will fit in our current cut out space; however, we will need to update the electrical. My question to you is do you think it might be worthwhile to have a rep out - as the problem may be simple and inexpensive? is there something we could troubleshoot ourselves?

Thanks so much.

Old 11-09-05, 04:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello schaefje and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Chances are that oven has a hot surface (HSI) glow ignition. Most likely it is burned out or too weak to ignite gas. Replacing that part will likely fix the problem. This forum topic has tons of oven questions. Many with much the same problem as you are having with your oven. Reading those already asnswered questions will provide you with much information to do it yourself.

You can replace the ignitor yourself. First unplug the appliance. Loosen or remove the screws securing the glow ignitor. Follow the two wires attached to the ignitor. At the end farthest from the ignitor will be a wire pull apart quick disconect.

Disconnect the ignitor at that point. Install the new ignitor exactly as you found the existing coil. Replace each part in reverse order. Plug in the appliance and turn it on. The burner now should work.

Be advise that some new replacement ignitors do not come with quick disconnect ends. In this case, it's okay to cut off the quick disconnect from the old ignitor and attach it to the new ignitor.

Simply clip off the wires several inches above the disconnect on the old ignitor, attach to the wires of the new ignitor and wire nut the two ends together. Repeat the process to attach the other set of wires and wire nut them together. There is no postive nor negative {polarity} to be concerned with.

Glow ignitors are fragile & they break easily. Handle and install the new ignitor carefully. Glowing hot surface ignitors are a non returnable and non refundable electric componet.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle electrical power source or turn off the circuit breaker first.

This link will also provide info.
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: