gas oven lights slowly

Old 11-11-05, 04:29 PM
esouzajr
Visiting Guest
Smile gas oven lights slowly

I have a 20 year old gas range,I think it's a caloric with gas pilots. The oven takes about 30 seconds to light,sometimes longer. The pilot light has a blue flame,and when it lights the oven burner it also has a blue flame. I was wondering if it was worth fixing,or if I could diy. Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 11-11-05, 08:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Weak Safety Element

Hello esouzajr and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Some ovens have 2 pilots. An always on small pilot and another larger flame that heats an element and that lager pilot flame comes on when the thermostat is first turned on and continues to cycle on and off as the oven needs heat. This flame is called an actuation pilot flame.

This larger actuation flame lights off from the smaller pilot, faces downwards slightly and heats an element, which is the safety for the burner and also turns on the gas so the burner can light.

The element could be a thermocouple if the appliance is very very old. If not, that element is a fluid safety or pilot generator element. Regardless of which type, it must be heated HOT by a flame and not be defective or the oven will not function correctly or at all.

For additional helpful information:
Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix some problems

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-12-05, 02:55 PM
esouzajr
Visiting Guest
Oven lights slowly

Hi Sharp Advice, I think it's a thermocouple.Do you know where I could go to order one and find out how to install it? I've put them in gas space heaters before. Is it the same procedure? Thanks for your help

Old 11-12-05, 05:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: esouzajr

20 year old stove oven not likely to have a T-Couple. More likely a pilot generator, or flame switch, or fluid switch, if equiped with a constant burning pilot light.

Retail appliance parts dealers will have the part. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances. Not sure where one would be purchased online.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: