Gas dryer won't heat...

Old 11-12-05, 02:21 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gas dryer won't heat...

Hi gurus,

I have Frigidaire gas dryer. Since yesterday I noticed that it does not heat. I opened the unit and could see bright orange glow from igniter, but I don't hear/see flame. I am suspecting one or both solenoid valves are bad and planning to replace both of them. But before I do that I want to do one more test to make sure.

In this unit the pads on which drum rotates is on the front panel and when I remove front panel drum falls. So in order to run dryer and see inside I have to keep front panel closed. But if I do that I can not see the gas valve assembly and solenoid valves because they are under drum. What I am wondering is - can I remove drum and then run dryer. That way I don't have to close front panel and will be able to see in detail what is happening. I am afraid if I remove drum and run dryer then load on motor will be very low and may be motor will run at very high speed and could get damaged.

Any advice?

Old 11-12-05, 05:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello YogiWatcher. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Motor will not run without drum in place. There is a micro small safety switch that is on the belt tensioning arm. Belt breaks, tension arm untensions and motor stops.

Look in from the back, if you must. Remove the lower back panel where the exhaust vent discharges. All this may not be needed. Replace the solenoids, but they too are not positively the cause, if both are opening. You must hear two clicks, not one.

Both solenoids must be opened for the burner to get gas. 2 clicks. If you hear two clicks, first opens the first solenoid and allows the hott surface ignitor to glow, while the second opens shortly thereafter. The second solenoid opens so gas can flow. Replacing them may resolve the problem.

If not, the gas valve is the next likely cause. More info here:
Gas Dryer Help Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve the problem.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 11-12-05, 08:27 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I hear only one click when igniter glows. I don't hear second click. So I think it must be those solenoid valves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: