Gas oven won't maintain temp.

Old 11-13-05, 04:14 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Gas oven won't maintain temp.

I have a Kenmore natural gas oven mod#911.3138819 that takes a very long time to come up to temp. if at all. The ignighter glows bright orange then I here the control valve click then sometimes the burner will light right up other times a minute or so will go by before the burner lights. When it does light, the flame is very small(1/4" to 1/2"). I set the control to 350 it takes a long time to come close to that temp if at all. Sometimes it will fall back to 225 then I reset the control to 375 it heats up to 325 very erratic. It will not maintain temp when it reaches the set temp. Somtimes it will fall way down. The broiler works fine The flame on the broiler burner is much larger than the one for the oven. Also the ignighter never goes out on the oven burner like it does on the broiler. I took the burner off and cleaned was fine. No difference.
I have replaced the ignighters before. It seems to be working fine.
Any ideas?
Thank You!
P.S. My wife is very worried with Thanksgiving coming and no oven, my head will be on the chopping block!

Old 11-13-05, 05:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Windancer29 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Most likely one of two possible problems. Hot surface ignitor is weak. Replace it with the one in the broiler. (Switch It To The Oven) Note the results. Like ly to solve the problem. The ignitors are interchangeable.

If switching them solves the problem, buy a new ignitor and install it in the broiler. Problem solved. If the same condition happens, the gas control is defective. Needs to be replaced.

If the above is the case, buy a new ignitor and gas valve. Install the new ignitor with the new gas control valve in the oven. Return the broiler ignitor back into the broiler. Problems solved.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-18-05, 05:16 AM
W
Question Kenmore gas oven won't maintain temp.

Thank you for your reply to my question. I switched the igniters and now the oven will not light at all. The gas comes on I think the igniter is not getting hot enough. It glows bright orange to a yellow. I can light the burner with a lighter and the oven comes up to temp, but the igniter never does go off.After the oven reaches temp the burner goes off (the igniter stays on)the temp drops a few degrees then the gas comes back on but does not ignite. How bright should the igniter get? Could it be a low voltage frome the control valve? Is there a way to test the igniter? Resistance? I know it seems I need to replace the igniter, but I hate to just replace parts till it is fixed. The igniter is 69.99 frome sears and the control valve is120.00. If it is a thermocouple problem or in the electronics I might as well replace the oven.

Time is running out with Thanksgiving next week I'll have to find a new home to live in if I don't get it working.
Thank You!

Old 11-18-05, 06:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Windancer29

There often isn't much choice when fixing such problems as a do it yourself task. Most likely cause is a weak ignitor. Has to be replaced one way or the other. May or may not resolve the problem but most likely does.

Often techs will replace both ignitor and gas control valve as a pair. Best insurance to resolve that type of problem. Often even they do not spend time taking volt or resistance reading or ohm readings. To busy to bother.

They replace the most common parts and are done with it. You too may be wise to do the same, expecially this late in the game with the holiday so close.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-21-05, 06:52 PM
W
KenmoreGas oven won't maintain temp.

Again thank you for your reply. I replaced the igniter today with a new one from sears. Now the oven lights fine then goes up to temp. But it still won't maintain temp. It falls down to around 100 degrees lower then comes back on. I guess I should replace the control valve now. Although I can smell gas just before it lights. Also the igniter still does not go off unless I turn the oven off.???? I just don't like replacing parts till it's fixed.

Again, thank you for your assistance with my problem

Windancer29

Old 11-22-05, 04:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Windancer29

I do not like to suggest replacing parts till a problem is fixed either. In this case however and based upon the nature of the problem, very likely to be a defective gas control valve. Replacement is the only option.

Read the info for replacing the ignitor in the sticky note:
Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix some problems

Ignitor should remain on as long as the temp is not reached. Will not cycle off until than. Normal operation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: