Wall oven-repair or replace??

Old 11-13-05, 05:30 PM
blacki1
Visiting Guest
Wall oven-repair or replace??

My DD bought a va foreclosure home .The wall oven is gas and did not work.After a little poking around we discovered that the plug-in thingies inside the top panel were not plugged in. The display showed an error code,we unplugged and plugged it back in.It seemed ok,the igniter worked and the gas came on,so we set it to self clean.About an hour or so later,smoke was coming from the top panel.So we unplugged the wires.Some wires look a bit melted.The oven door is still locked.My question is can or should this be repaired?I am thinking that all gas related parts are ok,but electrical are not.She is a single mom with not much money,so we dont want to spend 1000 bucks to replace if it can be repaired.It is a Kenmore 24 inch single wall oven,I would have to go to her house and look for any modle numbers if that is needed.Thanks!!!JoAnn

Old 11-13-05, 05:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello JoAnn and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

The reason why the wires where not connected is likely because there is a short or the wires are burnt too badly or a part is defective, etc. Problem is finding where the problem is and fixing it without exchanging costly parts.

Next possible cause is the inside is so dirty, during the cleaning cycle the smoke indicated lots of cleaning and burning of whatever spilled over in the past. Excessive smoking sometimes is slightly normal when prior cleanings where not done on time or the oven is excessively dirty inside.

I doubt there is a buyers home insurance policy. Which provides one year of service for a new buyer. Might be but doudtful. Worth asking. If a policy is inplace, call the number and request appliance service. If not, maybe the oven is just really dirty inside and needs a good hand with soap and hot water precleaning (Elbow Grease) before self cleaning.

Depending upon the age of the appliance and it's present condition, a diagnostics would need to be done to determine if it is worth fixing by a professional or cost effective as a diy project, etc. Electrical problems are difficult to diagnos. Hard to tell in text only format.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-13-05, 06:22 PM
blacki1
Visiting Guest
Ok,she has no warranty,home was as is. Is there a way to unlock the oven door without plugging it back in? My daughter saw some sparks when she tryed,so we dont want to go there!!Can all electrical parts be replaced in the top area?? I have looked up the control panel,it was app $140 to buy,but it seems like we would need to replace the rest of the wiring that it plugs into.Thanks for taking the time to help!!!JoAnn

Old 11-14-05, 04:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: JoAnn

Usually but not always, the lever handle is the problem. It is made of thin metal and gets bent easily. Try bending the lever straight and level. If that does not work, unplug the oven or turn off the power to it. Remove the decorative front cover trim around the front panel.

Getting the oven door locking mechanism to open when stuck shut, usually requires removing the front panel to access locking device from above door for built in wall ovens. Once accessed, remove the wires from the device. Unlatch the lock and leave it unclatched. Electrical tape over the terminal ends and the wire end.

Sometimes possible to unlock door by straightening an unbent or slight bent door locking lever. Usually slightly bent horizontally, not vertically. Thus not moving far enough into the unlocking position. Minor adjustment may resolve the problem.

Other times may have to use thin bladed screw driver inserted into slot and attempt to depress and release lock. Works sometimes using this method but not always.

If locking device is accessed from inside and device appears damaged or any doubts about damage, must be replaced. If able to unlock from outside and without internal access, door may or may not release again once locked. Part(s) may be damaged. New part(s) available at local applinace parts stores.

All electrcial parts can be replaced. Question is would it be cost effective? Time wise and cost wise to do it yourself. Once electrcial parts are purchased, they cannot be returned for any reason. Something else to consider before buying electrical parts. Than there is the installation to do.

Sorry if the information does not seem to be all too positive. I have to be sure the info provided does not mislead you either. If the door lock is not the only problem, could be more than just wiring. Electronic pats can be expensive and have to be installed correctly.

Old 11-14-05, 05:54 PM
blacki1
Visiting Guest
thank you

Well,from your advice it looks like the electrical connections for the door lock are bad as well as the control panel and who knows what else.So,do you have any good advice for a brand which is easy to install??

Old 11-14-05, 08:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: JoAnn

Wall ovens or built in ovens as they are sometimes called come in different sizes. The outside size is not the concern. The size that is the concern is the size inside the cabinet that cannot be seen.

Measure the overal external demensions. That will provide a good enough size to determine the next size to purchase. One exactly the same as the current oven. Than it would simply be an equal exchange, old for new.

About the only potential problem would be the gas connection. The old parts may not fit the newer model. All new gas connection parts may be needed. Nothing unusual here either.

The older gas flex lines are not suppose to fit the newer appliances. The gas connection parts of today are far better than those of years ago. So to get us to upgrade, the sizes changed and are not interchangeable. An industry standard we all have to comply to. And, in my opinion, a good one.

Old 11-16-05, 09:12 PM
blacki1
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: