Piezo-electric ignition - Britannia Range

Old 11-21-05, 07:53 AM
BazzaS
Visiting Guest
Piezo-electric ignition - Britannia Range

I have a Britannia cooking range. The hobs are gas fuelled. These are ignited by pushing in the relevant control button which starts the piezo-electric spark. Except that one button will not cause a spark.
Has anyone any ideas why this may be ? And what I can do about it ?
Thanks

Old 11-21-05, 04:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello BazzaS. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Unfortuniately, I am not fimilar with the brand nor that type of ignition on a stove. However, the piezo-electric spark ignition system is used on fire places in this part of the world.

When such an ignition system fails to work, can be caused by the activation switch. Unplug the appliance. If you are handu with a volt/ohm meter, test for continuity through the switch. A switch may not be working or all of them may not be, if the problem effects them all.

If there is not sparking regardless of which burner you are attempting to light and only one piezo button, that button may be defective. If there is more than one button and the system does not operate or only one button and the system does not operate, the spark moduel may be defective.

There may be a fuse in the electrical system on that appliance and for that type of ignition system. Look for one. Especially if the oven works and has an HSI (Hot Surface Ignitor) That would mean there is electrical power and a fuse may be in the system for the top burners. (Hobs???)

The local appliance aprts stores may be able to help further. All the above is basic electrical problem diagnostics. May or may not apply to the stove you have.

***Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information and or questions. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: