One time clunking noise with Maytag gas dryer

Old 11-23-05, 10:21 AM
AlbanyKim
Visiting Guest
One time clunking noise with Maytag gas dryer

Hello-

I have a Maytag dryer that gives one loud clunking noise right when you start it up but then only squeaks. I have been able to discern from a wide variety of posts on these message boards that a new belt or a new idler pulley will take care of the ongoing squeaks, but what about the initial clunking noise? It is a horrible noise and it is the sort of noise that seems like it is a precursor to something really bad.

Thank you for your help!

Kim

Old 11-23-05, 05:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Kim. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Most dryer noise is a result of the slide pads being worn and in some machines the rear bearing. Not all machines have a rear bearing. But if the machine you have does have one, suspect that to be the cause or a possible cause of the initial noise. May also be something inside the drum? Possible but not as likely. Check for loose parts inside the drum. New belt or a new idler pulley may also be the cause. These parts will be located in the bottom of the machine. Access gained through lower rear back panel.

Gas Dryer Help Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159481

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically keep your question at the top of the forum list.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: