Jenn Air JDS8850AAS Ignitors fire continuously!

Old 11-27-05, 04:29 PM
Gerhard
Visiting Guest
Jenn Air JDS8850AAS Ignitors fire continuously!

...well to be specific... 3 of the 4 Ignitors are firing continuously when you turn the gas on to cook something. Only the high output burner is actually working correctly.

Does anyone have a clue as to why 3 of the burner's ignitors are firing all the time?

This is really odd.

I did clean the stove recently. ...but it's a sealed cooktop.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-05, 04:37 PM
Gerhard
Visiting Guest
Update...

I just noticed that with the over on... it's not doing it.

So it only does it when the stove it cool.

Weird.

Any toughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-05, 04:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Gerhard. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Most likely cause is moisture during the cleaning process found it's way onto one or more of the switches located below the plastic knobs. Excessively wet sponges or cleaning cloths allow water to get onto the switches, which will cause this problem, if applicable.

If this happens to be the case, then remove the knobs by lift them straight upwards and off the stems of the valves. Remove any clear plastic covers on the valve stems, if applicable. Blow warm air over the switches using a common hair blow dryer. The idea here is to dry out the moisture, if there is any. The hair dryer trick often works!...

Another cause could be reversed electrical polarity. The plug end will have 3 prongs. It must be directly connected into a properly wired and grounded wall recepticle. Reversed electrical polarity over a long duration of time will destroy the spark module.

Do not use 2 prong extension cords to lenghten the existing appliances electrical wire. DO NOT bypass the grounding pin on the end of the appliances electrical cord. Doing either of these will also damage the spark module.

If you attempt to do any repairs, be sure the electrical power is turned off or the stove is unplugged. If you choose not to do the repairs yourself, contact the dealer's local service agency. Until then...unplug the appliance and light the burners with a match.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-29-05, 06:26 PM
bseale84
Visiting Guest
I have the exact same problem with Jenn-Aire JGS8850JGQ. The guy I bought this house from told me to get Sears out to fix the problem. I called them and the repair technician said it was the switches. The next technician came to install the switches and he called me and said it was mis-diagnosed. He told me it was the spark modue. I then got my money back from them and ordered the spark module myself. I installed it tonight and it did not correct the problem. I have 1 burner that will turn off properly, however when I turn the other burners on they continuously fire the igniter. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Old 11-30-05, 04:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello bseale84. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Question? to you. Where the switches ever replaced? Not made clear in your post.....

If they (switches) where or the one defective switch was replaced, likely the problem would have been solved. If a switch or all the switches were not replaced, likely to be the problem.

Not all switches need to be replaced, however. The trick is to diagnose by testing to determine which switch is the cause. I process of trial and error unless you have an ohm/volt meter.

In this case, disconnect the electrical power first, than do a continuity test on each switch to determine exactly which switch is always closed when it is in the off (opened) position. Once located, replace that one switch and the problem is resolved.

Since you already replaced the spark module and it did not solve the problem, the switches are the next likely cause, assuming all else is okay.

Heat by the flames changes the electrical resistence in the sparkers electrode which in turn turns off the sparking. Spark electrodes must be heated by the flames in order for the module to know a flame exists.

Starting with the simple possibilities, test the electric switches located on the gas valves for continuity. There should not be any when the valves are off. It's possible one of the switches is closed completing the circuit.

CAUTIONARY NOTE:
Be sure to unplug the stove from the electrical power prior to testing.

Sparkers do go bad, so it could also be a defective one. Each sparker has a wire that pulls off the sparker element body. You can disconnect one at a time and test to see if the sparking stops.

If the sparking continues, then reconnect that one and disconnect another. Continuing with each sparker one at a time until you locate the one that may be causing the problem. The one that stops the sparking is the culprit.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-30-05, 06:25 AM
bseale84
Visiting Guest
The guy from Sears did replace all the switches and it did not fix the problem. Therefore, he put the old switches back in and told me that the spark module was the root of the problem. This is when I told him to get lost and replaced the spark module myself. Could it be that the spark module and the switches are both the problem. If it is the switches, you mentioned that you use a trial and error method. Do you just unplug one switch at a time and see if the problem corrects itself? One last question, is there any sequence that I need to hook the wires coming from the igniter into the back of the spark module? I do not believe so, but I am stretching.

Old 11-30-05, 08:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: bseale84

Your statement: "If it is the switches, you mentioned that you use a trial and error method. Do you just unplug one switch at a time and see if the problem corrects itself?" Answer is yes.

Here is the how to method: First unplug the appliance from the electrical power source. Than remove both wires from each switch, one switch at a time, and do the continuity test. Objective is to locate the one switch that shows continuity when the switch is in the off position. Once located, replace that switch but do check all switches. More than one defective switch may be found.

Replace the wires at the modual exactly as found prior to the removal of the existing modual. May even be a grounding wiring included. Not all mfg's use the same method. Based upon the brand and type of modual. Same applies to the switches. Must be wired corrctly and exactly as found prior to removal.

Help likely to be found by calling the mfg. Number below. Also asking for help at any local appliance parts dealers whom have the wiring diagrams. Most appliance parts dealers likely to provide help. Doing so is in their best interests, to have satisfied customers and sell parts. Not all act or think in this fashion granted but should, imo.

Service manuals can be obtained here: (One Of Many Sources)
Repair Manuals: http://www.Appliance-Repair.org

Also refer to the "Related Ads" pages to the right of this forum topic...>>>>>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: