Another gas oven temp problem

Old 12-03-05, 07:45 AM
mjt
Visiting Guest
Another gas oven temp problem

Hi,

New member here.

Got a 10+ yrs old GE natural gas range problem. After oven flame comes on at Broil setting, the flame will go out when temperature knob is reduced to 350 degrees or lower. Model number is scratched and can't be identified. Service techs unable to help without the model number. Any suggestion?

Is it advisable for me to install an used one myself? The range is free standing 30" and slides out easily. The electrical recepticle is near by. The gas hookup cable is flexible and has a local shut off valve. It seems like to disconnect the old range, the steps are to unplug the electrical cord, shut off the gas valve, and disconnect the gas cable. Installing the replacement is to reverse the steps. About right?

Thanks.

Old 12-03-05, 09:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello mjt and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Slightly confused here... Help me out so I can help you...

Why do you have to set the selection temp to broil when you want to bake at a specific set temp??? Setting temp to broil to preheat??? Why???

Select the oven temp and let oven warm up to that selected temp. Avoid using the broil selection unless broiling.

Is this model digital or rotary temp dial????

Service tech should not need model number if present at the house, location. They should already know the cause based upon the symptoms.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-05-05, 06:17 AM
mjt
Visiting Guest
Some clarification

The gas range in question has all rotary knobs, and has no electronic readouts.

I turned the oven on at the Broil setting to sear the meat first, followed by lowering the temperature to 350 degrees to slow cook. But the flame would go out at 350 and would not come back on for 30 minutes.

Two service techs on site were not able to diagnose the problem, other than suggesting to replace the thermostat. But they could not even do that without the model number. They couldn't even find a replacement for the broken oven knob. The "universal" knob form Home Depot just won't stay on.

At this point, I'm leaning towards replacing the range. I'll read your Help Link to see if this is something I can do myself. I'm sure there will be more questions.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-05, 06:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: mjt

Pull out the electrical power cord from the wall socket. Remove the front glass panel. Will have to pull off all the dial control knobs first. Once glass panel is removed, look closely at the T-Stat. Name and model numbers will be on it. Likely a Robert Shaw or similar control. All else fails, can't see the name and or model numbers, remove existing T-Stat and take it with you to any local appliances parts store. OEM part still likely available or a generic will be. Basic help link also has help. Read that too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: