Gas Oven re-lights over and over during preheating

Old 12-08-05, 05:27 PM
telliott
Visiting Guest
Gas Oven re-lights over and over during preheating

Our Maytag Gas Range (about 10 years old) makes funny sounds during the pre-heating time of using the oven. When we set the oven to bake at say 350 degrees, the oven turns on, the pre-heat light comes on and I hear the gas light. After a few minutes, I'll hear the gas valve close and the flame goes out. About 1-2 seconds later, the oven tries to re-light the gas again. The oven will stay lit for about 5-10 seconds and then go out again. This process of relighting the flame is repeated for quite some time. Once the oven reaches the desired temperature, this cycling of the oven seems to stop. I'm not sure how the oven maintains it's temperature, either with a constant flame, or a cycling routine, but the constant lighting and relighting seem to stop or is not as noticeable.

My initial guess is that the igniter is flaky and is not sending constant current to the gas valve.

Not knowing a whole lot about the inner workings of the oven, I'm willing to replace the igniter myself, but don't feel confident working with the gas valve. I guess my question is: Do my symptoms point to the igniter, something that can be unplugged and replaced fairly easily?, or do they point to a possible faulty gas valve, where I'd want a repairman to be working with the plumbing?

Thanks for your help. I looked at some of the archives and saw some related articles, but didn't see any that had the oven cycle on and off while it was coming up to the desired temperature.

If the model means anything it's a Maytag MGR5750ADW I believe Series 11

Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-05, 05:41 PM
telliott
Visiting Guest
Oven preheating woes

I forgot to add that the oven does seem to bake correctly at the desired temperature. I haven't measured it, but baking times seem to be reasonable. So either this preheating problem is a sign of bigger problems to come in the future or an annoyance that occurs only during preheating.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 12-08-05, 06:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Tim and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Cycling can be caused by a weak hot surface glow ignitor. (HSI) Can also be caused by a defective solenoid in the gas valve and a few other causes to detailed to get into at this time.

Best first attempt to correct the problem, IMO, is to replace the HSI. Not too expensive or difficult to install. If the HSI is the original, long do for a replacement anyway more than likely. And just may resolve the cycling problem.... Worth the try, in my opinion.

Below is detailed info I aways offer:

Best first attempt to fix the problem is to replace that ignitor. Unplug the appliance and remove the existing ignitor. Replace it with exact OEM ignitor.

Cautionary Notes:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, (HSI) working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow ignitor is weak.

If the ignitor isn't glowing at all, the part must be replaced. Position the new hot surface ignitor exactly as you find the existing one attached. Double check all electrical connections before turning the power back on or plugging in the appliance.

If it is required to remove the burner, be sure it also gets installed exactly as you find it now. The end of the burner tube with the air shutter adjustment must be installed back onto the gas valve is bronze or brass orifice. The other end of the burner tube must be secured as it currently is.

Glowing hot surface ignitors are fragile & break easily. Handle and install the new ignitor carefully. Glowing hot surface ignitors are a non returnable and non refundable electric componet. Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs.

Most replacement ignitors come already equipped with the quick disconnect reinstalled on the wire end of the new ignitor. If not, you will have to clip off the end from the old ignitor and install it on the new ignitors wires. Polarity is not important in this case.

Try this first and note the results. If it resolves the problem, post back the results. If the new ignitor does not correct the problem, than the only other option may be to replace the gas valve.

Retail appliance parts dealers will have the HSI. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances TopicModerator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save,May Be Your Own."

Old 02-23-06, 08:50 AM
telliott
Visiting Guest
Well the preheating times were getting longer and longer and I just couldn't take it any longer. Off to the parts store I went and purchased a new igniter. After reading a few more websites, troubleshooting a bad igniter required a clamp-on ammeter. I didn't have access to that but I did have a multi-meter. I measured the resistance of the current igniter and it read 175 ohms. I believe the spec should be 50-150 ohms. So there was hope that the igniter was indeed the problem. I changed out the igniter and Voila! the oven is fixed. Preheating now takes 7-10 minutes whereas before up to 20-30 minutes. Thanks for all of your help.

Tim

Old 02-23-06, 04:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Tim

Glad the new ignitor resolved the problem. Often does. Not too costly nor difficult to replace either.

Thanks too for taking the time to post back the final successful results too.