Gas stove top to propane tank?

Old 12-14-05, 10:22 AM
jkjhtt
Visiting Guest
Gas stove top to propane tank?

I just purchast a GE gas stove top. Can I hook this up to just a 5 gallon propane tank?

Old 12-14-05, 12:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
jkjhtt, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I do not think this will work. The tank would be undersized for the stovetop. You would end up "starving" the stove for fuel and may ruin it also. watch this post for more answers.

Old 12-14-05, 04:49 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There's no reason a standard GE cook top shouldn't work off a 20# cylinder (5gal tank), after it's converted to LPG. If you draw 50K BTU's full draw, it's a lot.

Things to consider doing so:

Keep the tank outdoors! Under no circumstances is it a good idea to keep the tank under the cabinet in the kitchen, behind the stove, or indoors under any circumstance. Not only that, it's dangerous to do so.

Do not under any circumstance attempt to connect the cook top directly to the tank! A regulator specified for LP must be installed at the tank.

Bottom line:
Hooking up gas appliances (unless it's your barbeque grill) is not a DIY project. Too many things can go wrong. The consequences can be disastrous!

Old 12-15-05, 07:59 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jkjhtt
I just purchast a GE gas stove top. Can I hook this up to just a 5 gallon propane tank?
Yep, and it will work just fine, I've ran mine that way for well over a year, as the stove is the only gas appliance.

I would however suggest the next tank size up (30lb I think) if you do much baking, nothing worse than running out of gas in the middle of cooking (just any BBQer who has ran out). You also won't have to refill as often.

You can buy the regulator and hose assembly in the garden section of most stores that sell them (wal-mart, lowes, home depot, etc). Assemble your standard hard pipe section with the shut-off valve inside and run it the pipe outside to a suitable location, install the appropriate fitting adaptor to mate with the compression fitting of the regulator/hose assembly, check for leaks, etc.

When placing the tank, you're going to want to either keep it out of the rain, or place something on top (such as an overturned plant pot) to keep the rain off of the regulator. The regulator has a small vent hole in it, and you don't want it getting filled with rain/debris.

Working with gas is NOT difficult and there's really no reason any homeowner with at least some skill and common sense can't do it, but you must consider the material you are working with (gas) and the dangers of not doing it right (blowing yourself up).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: