Long preheat with noise in gas oven

Old 12-19-05, 07:28 AM
chera
Visiting Guest
Question Long preheat with noise in gas oven

We have a Jenn-air gas range which is about 2 years old. It started making a buzzing type of noise when preheating. The noise is not constant - only makes the noise when the burner comes on. It does this on and off for the entire preheat. The burner comes on, the noise starts, then there is a loud poofing noise and it goes off. A few minutes later it does it again. Yesterday it took 45 minutes for the oven to get up to 400 degrees. The noise continues while cooking once it is at temperature. The noise seems to be coming from the control panel area. I know it is normal for it to cycle on and off once it is at temperature- but it seems like it should be on constantly during preheat. When the noise first started, the preheat was shorter...and now it is really long. ALSO: the oven does not do this all the time- some days it works fine, no noise, preheats quickly etc. We are confused...I get ready to have it repaired and then it works perfectly...a few days later it is doing this long noisy preheat again. Would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by chera; 12-19-05 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 05:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello chera and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

HUMMM!....

Burner flame fluttering will make some noises but not often reduce preheating time...unless there is a another problem I am not aware of.

Another possibility is a weak ignitor not sending enough voltage to the gas valve. Which in turn causes a flame to burn down at the air shutter or inside the burner tube.

Same can apply to a defective gas valve. Not opening fully which allows only some gas out. Not enough to allow full burner flames but rather some burning inside the burner tube.

Either condition above, if any one of these conditions does exist, needs the expert servicing of a professional. Neither condition is safe nor acceptable.

If the noise is in fact coming from behind the control panel. may be a timer or clock noise. May be some part on the circuit board but I am not aware of any noises ever heard as a result of either of the two possibilities, I just mentioned, in an oven with a touch pad control. HUMMM....

Another odd issue is the noise is not consistent. Sporadic noises and/or operation is always difficult to diagnose. If noise is not all that loud, might have to wait until something stops working to findout specificially what is the problem.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. *There may be a service bulletin issued to dealers and service techs.* Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

May have to call the manufacturer to findout. Number below.
Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

If you need further assistance use the reply button. Doing so keeps the question at the top of the daily list automatically. Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions, and or repair methods.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: