Can I install Kenmore gas range myself?

Old 12-20-05, 02:39 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I install Kenmore gas range myself?

Hi,

Is this something that I can do myself or I am better off paying Sears $119.99 to ensure safe connection? I have an old gas range with 2 stove; one smaller at the top and one larger at the lower part. It is quite heavy. Sears saleman calls it "Classic".

Sears has a sales going on and I would like to get a new Kenmore gas range with one stove.

The sales person told me that delivery is free with a mail in rebate. The installation fee is $119.99 and they charge $65 to haul away my old one.

I pulled out the old one to see that the gas stove connects directly into the wall gas pipe. There is no shut off valve that I can see. Also, my cabinets and countertops are all demolished and cleared, so no obstacles are in the way.

So, is this something that I am better off paying Sears $119.99 or is there a simple procedure that I can do this safely myself? Or maybe there are handyman service that I can call and get a better deal?

Thanks

Old 12-20-05, 03:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I don't know enough about gas appliances to comment on whether you should tackle this job yourself, I just wanted to share some potential price comparison info: The store where I bought most of my appliances installs for no extra charge and hauls the old one away for $25. Should you hire this out, I think you could pay less with a little shopping around.

Old 12-20-05, 05:14 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is you gas supply natural or LP? If it's natural there should be little adjustments to make on the new range (just the simmer settings). If it's LP, it needs to be converted.

Usually, all you have to do is to close the shut off valve behind the range and swap them. Being there is no shut off, you need to turn off the supply coming into the house. Since the supply to the house will be off, this would be the perfect time to install a shut off behind the range.

For someone with a little mechanical ability, it shouldn't be a problem. If it's something you're not comfortable doing. To me $119.00 sounds steep, but it's a safe investment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: