I have yellow flames coming from my two left sealed surface burners.

Old 12-21-05, 07:44 PM
PCTech
Visiting Guest
Question I have yellow flames coming from my two left sealed surface burners.

Yellow flames from GE XL44 range, model # 30GEP4. Would it be an air adjustment shutter? If so where are they located for the surface burners. If it isnt that what else could it possible be, and can I do it myself or do i need a repairman? Thanks!

Old 12-21-05, 08:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Welcome PCTech to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Sealed burners do not often have adjustable air shutters. They are fixed openings. Which may be clogged or have debris in them or around them, etc. You will need to remove the burner heads. Removal depends upon model and brand.

Most or some have a center removalable cap. Under it is a phillips screw that needs to be removed. Than lift out the burner head and inspect under it. The opening is built into the burner head in your hand.

Below burner head is only or should only be an orifice. Which may have a clog in it. The orifice has a tiny hole in it. Small amount of gas allowed to come out of the orifice and using a pin may dislodge any debris in the orifice. Do Not enlarge the orifice hole. Will have drastic negative results.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites:http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save,May Be Your Own."

Old 12-22-05, 12:28 PM
PCTech
Visiting Guest
did

i already have done that, the orifices are not clogged. what else can i do?

Old 12-23-05, 04:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: PCTech

Only other possible cause I can think of and have encountered is a restricted air vent hole in the appliance regulator. Which will cause yellow burner flames to result on all four burners and or cause only one burner to operate correctly but not often more than one at a time.

Usually, when the above happens, each additional burner turned on will cause the flame size to become drastically reduced at each burner already burning. Regulator simply cannot supply enough gas to one burner or more than one burner. Results, yellowed under gassed (small) flames which burn yellow.

Solution is to replace the appliance regulator. Not often possible to clear a vent hole restriction without causing part damage or knowing exactly what process to use that will not cause internal damage to the diaphram, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: