Gas Valve Flip

Old 12-22-05, 02:46 PM
f5snopro
Visiting Guest
Gas Valve Flip

I have a GE XL44 range with a bad oven/broiler valve. After a trip to the local appliance dealer I found out the replacement part would be $130 and I couldn't get it until after the holiday. So since my waist high broiler works, I simply flipped the valve so that the old broiler outlet is now the oven outlet. Reconnected the wiring and she fires right up. My question is, am I overlooking a possible problem with this temporary solution? I don't see any issues, no gas leaks, etc. Being in a crunch to cook xmas dinner this weekend, it seemed like my only option.

The broiler is rated at 13,500 Btus and the oven at 16,000 Btus. Don't know if that will cause a problem. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-23-05, 05:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello f5snopro. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Certainly not an OEM repair. But if it works fairly well, since your in a pinch and for a short time span until the correct part is available and installed, guess it will have to make do.

Not advisable but if already done and it works, works safely, the overgassed situation, additional btu's will cause larger flames. As long as the burner remains burning mostly blue with not much yellow flames, if any, all should be fine.

May cause some odor of gas not fully burned or minor soot, etc. Can't invision this type of temp conversion nor the results. Not encountered it before but would not recommend using appliance in this condition any longer than is required.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: