Stove Ignition issues

Old 12-29-05, 07:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermador ignition problem

My 3-year old Thermador cooktop recently developed a problem that may (I hope!) be simple enough for me to repair! One of the "Xtralow" burners works normally for a while (2-3 minutes), and then the flame goes out, and the reignition starts clicking without any reignition. The other burners work fine, so there is plenty of propane in my tank. This happens no matter how high the burner is set. When the burner hasn't been used for 10 or 15 minutes, it will come on again when I turn the knob, but then goes out again after 2 or 3 minutes. This is my "favorite" burner---any ideas?

Old 12-29-05, 07:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello sjp3. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

You asked: "any ideas?" Got several. But none you're likely to want to hear. Not often a do it yourself repair or adjustment. Often caused by the nat gas density.

Not all gas is created equally by volume or density. Can and often does vary by supplier and whom they buy from, between wells and is effected by temperatures, etc.

Usually a thiner density gas will burn to lean for small flames to burn constantly. Often times the adjustment of the air shutter helps. Slighty closing the shutters reduces the air to gas mixture which reduces the lean condition. Sometimes but not always. Sometimes opening slightly the air shutter works. Trial and error method.

Other times opening the orifice helps to supply slightly more gas to compensate for the lean gas. Sometimes both gas and air adjustments are needed to find the best overal balance.

May need the help of a tech professional. Try contacting the gas supplier. Often many of them provide minor adjustments free of charges....

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save,May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: