propane leak

Old 12-30-05, 10:17 AM
Safari64
Visiting Guest
propane leak

I have a Therm'x propane catalytic heater in my '64 Airstream trailer. It has a very slight propane leak detected with spray on 'bubble" leak detector.

Very faint stream of bubbles comes from bottom of main banjo connector from feed line. The joint has been taken apart, cleaned, surfaced and it still has faint leak in same spot.

This has old style copper banjo/tubing connectors not used anymore (for a reason). It has aluminum washer,copper banjo,aluminum washer mounted with pass through bolt to aluminum valve body.

How can I seal the connection?

Thread seal on outside of connection didn't work. Leaks same spot. This is not a joint I ever plan to take apart again, but would like to keep the original heater intact, leak free. Would be willing to make permanent bond.

Fred

Old 12-31-05, 06:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it has a banjo bolt, then it has a threaded fitting, yes?
With some hunting, you can probably find an adaptor, or series of fittings that would let you convert the banjo fitting to the standard compression fitting used now.

Old 12-31-05, 06:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Fred

I understand your desire to fix the problem without the need to replace the existing part(s). Any attempts to correct the problem in the manner you described can be risky. All parts should be replaced with the newer parts.

Professionally, the effected part(s) would have to be all replaced. With that safety concern in mind and stated, the problem can be fixed, hopefully, by using a thread compound sealant, providing the threads of the parts and the parts themselves, are not damaged even slightly.

Try a sealant used and designed for such purposes. Available at RV dealers and RV repair shops. Follow the products instructions and assemble all parts correctly and carefully. Once the tasks are completed, leak check all parts and fittings to insure leak free connections are made.

Aluminum washer(s) most bolts, O Rings, seals, etc. should be available at RV dealers. Most are common parts. Inquire at the repair shops and dealers.

Be aware of safety concerns. The problem may become worse after another repair attempt, not a permanate repair, not able to be fixed in such a manner and one that should be rechecked often if it is leak free at the time of the repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: