Gas stove igniter only "clicks" when hot

Old 12-31-05, 06:53 AM
Far Raider
Visiting Guest
Gas stove igniter only "clicks" when hot

I have a Tirolia gas stove in my flat here in Vienna and the igniter only works when the oven has been on for a while. I took the top off hoping to find a simple gap in a switch that needs to be adjusted (because of thermal expansion) but what do I know - there is nothing obvious Can anyone give me a little help on this?

Thanks
FR

Old 12-31-05, 07:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Far Raider and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Oven ignitor? Try cleaning the sparker (ignitor) and grounding element. Use a paint brush of the size that fits best. May need to use some fine grit sand paper. Do not sand too much. Only enough to clean the surfaces lightly. Blow clean and retry. May resolve the problem, if the part is not damaged and in good condition.

Clean and check all wire terminals and connections, if need be. Be sure the electrical power is turned off or the plug is removed from the wall outlet receptcule.

The spark module may be weak. Thus not able to jump the gap when ignitor is cold. Cold creates more electrical resistance than a warm sparker. If cleaning does not resolve the problem, sparker and/or module may need to be replaced.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites:http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save,May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: