exhaust fan with gas cooktop

Old 12-31-05, 02:10 PM
Chip Milosch
Visiting Guest
Red face exhaust fan with gas cooktop

I have an electric cooktop with solid heating elements. Besides the fact that I have always hated the cooktop, several of the burners are not longer working correctly. I want to replace it with a gas cooktop-- I have heard varying opinions on whether or not an exhaust hood is needed with a gas cooktop.

Anyone know for sure? If so,I'd love to know

Old 01-01-06, 06:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Excellant Question

Hello Chip and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Thanks for bring up the question. Has been asked many times prior but should be covered and explained once again. Everyone has an opinion. But that is exactly what and all it is, an opinion and nothing more.

The fact is gas cooktops do not need an overhead exhaust venting system. Fumes are not the reason a hood is installed. Gas cooktop burners are classified as non automatic and non remotely operated appliances.

Clarification and Classification:
Non automatic and Non remotely operated appliances.

Meaning any gas burning appliance that is Thermostically operated with the appliance located in another area, not visable, out of direct sight and one that turns on and off automatically. One has to be there physically present to turn the appliance on manually.

Even intitially turning on such an appliance on is classified as non remotely operated and non automatically operated appliance. A cooktop, stove with oven and/or built in oven and a gas dryer are classified as Non automatic and Non remotely operated appliances.

Since it is an appliance where the operator has to be present for the appliance to operate, the assumption is the operator will see, hear and be aware of any problems and/or conditions that are not normal operations or any unsafe conditions exist, etc.

The arguement or assumption is the burning of a fuel produces products of combustion which are unfit and/or unsafe to breath is not true and there are no facts to prove otherwise. Providing the burners work well, the fuel burns cleanly and normally, the only byproducts of combustion is carbon dioxides and water vapors.

Only additional products of combustion is tract elements of sulfurs and carbon monoxides in quantities much to small or low in volume to be of any health or risk hazards to anyone. Period.

So the arguements and/or assumptions an exhaust is required for any of the above mentioned reasons or any like or similar are not valid and/or do not apply. Best of my knowledge after 25+ years in the gas industry, no one has every died as a result of using a cooktop when used as intended.

The exhaust hood is primarily there to provide direct overhead lighting, remove heat, cooking odors, moistures and for appearances. Some locals do require an exhaust hood but they are not needed and are not automactically operated.

Therefore, not being an automatically operated unit, one can choose to turn it on or leave it off. If the hood was required because of any potential hazard do to burner exhausts fumes, the exhaust fan would turn on automatically.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites:http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-01-06 at 06:29 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: