GE Gas Wall Oven - Digital Display [pix inside]

Old 01-04-06, 10:16 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Gas Wall Oven - Digital Display [pix inside]

What a great forum - I've read through the stickies and FAQ's but couldn't find a situation that was similar to mine.

Make: GE
Model: JCTP18BA1BB (GE Wall Convection Oven)

A few months ago, the keypad began acting strangely. I would hit "Broil", and instantly a "2" would appear. We had a service tech come out and for $70 he told us it was either the keypad ($360) or Circuitboard (now $400)

To me, it seemed that the key pad was sticking. This went away after some mild (and some not-so-mild) "taps" with the heel of my hand on the keypad.

This began again yesterday - but when I tapped it with my hand this time, all elements of the entire Digital display came on - as shown here:

Picture 1
Picture 2

Now none of the buttons work. I have killed power to the oven overnight, but when I flip the breaker back on, the display lights up again as shown above, and is non-responsive to any keys. I cannot get the oven to do anything.

Any thoughts? Have I killed the oven control circuit board? We have another service call scheduled, but they can't visit us for about 2 weeks! If its just a circuit baord replacement, I can handle it. I just don't want to buy an unnecessary $400 part!

Thanks for any help!
Scott

Last edited by scott_maclennan; 01-04-06 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-06, 06:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Scott and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

I certainly have to agree with you. With the cost of either replacement part, it would be expensive to guess which part, board or touch pad, is defective and wind up choosing the wrong part. Neither is returnable once purchased.

Neither would I like to be wrong with my advice. I only have the problem description to work with and no opportunity to test anything. Therefore, even my pro advice or anyone elses, is simply a guess.

With that in mind, about the only logical possible solution is to inquire if the local parts stores can and/or will test the parts. Not all do and most likely they do not like to. All has to do with liability, if the sell you the wrong part, etc.

My guess would be the touch pad more than the circuit board. With that in mind, turn off the power, remove the front panel and that the touch pad. Look closely for damage, poos connections, burnt wires, terminals, etc. Any such clues that might indicate damage, burned parts, loose connections, etc.

Since the panel lights all came on at least once and upon your banging it, might indicate a poor connection at a terminal connection or between touch pad and circuit board, etc. A process of illimination through exploration. About the best we can do at this point.

However, if you do find a possible cause or the actual cause, use the reply button and post it back here. Like to know the results of the findings.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-05-06, 08:35 PM
S
Thanks for the encouragement - I've ordered a replacement part (From the U.S at 1/2 the price!) so its worth the gamble. My canadian distributor wanted $400, and I found a control unit for less than $200 USD.

Hopefully this is the right part - I'll be sure to post my results.

Old 01-12-06, 01:07 PM
S
Resolved

The part came in today. I was a little concerned, as it was a "Sanyo" part and this was not the company that made the original control unit. The components were laid out differently on this Sanyo board.

However, in the instruction sheet, it mentioned that it is a valid replacement part, with good instructions. I reattached the 10 or so molex connectors to the correct tabs and relays on the board and powered it up successfully! The new board actually had color-coded locations on it, which made reassembly a breeze, and rendered my exhaustive mini-wire-labeling system un-necessary!

So while not really a DIY fix, at least it was a DIY install! Does that count?!

Old 01-12-06, 08:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Scott.

Does it count? Of course. You did it yourself and saved a bunch of $ too!... Which is exactly what the site and us moderator professionals do to help our fellow diy'ers....

Thanks for posting back the final results and how easy it was to accomplish the task....