Oven Temp Control

Old 01-08-06, 06:49 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven Temp Control

I bought a house with a Kenmore Gas stove/range model 911.3542090. The stove works fine but the oven was coming on for about a minute and then shutting off. I replaced both of the ignitors without improvement but have figured out that the temp sensor is not reading correctly. The temp display on bake mode climbs very fast even with the door open. If I put my hand inside it doesn't feel like it's that hot yet. The temp meets the preset value and the oven shuts off. Funny thing is that if I preset the temp to 550 the sensor stops at 530 and the oven stays lit. My question, finally, does the temp sensor go bad often or is this type of problem usually the control board? Thanks again for all the help you guys provide...

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-06, 09:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Cliff.

A temp sensor must not be in contact with anything but the air inside the oven. If the sensor on that oven has a thun long sensor element secured in two clips it's okay. If the sensor is not in the clips or there isn't any clips to hold it, get some at a local appliance store.

If the sensor is a rod extending out from the oven wall and not touching anything, very possible the set temp is incorrect. Or the oven builds to the set temp slowly as it raises near the set temp. Some ovens will do this rise to temp more slowly than others.

However, if the oven does reach 350, when measured with an oven temp thermometer within 15 minutes pre heating, thermostat is okay. If not, thermostat may be able to be calibrated. Some can be and some cannot be.

Oven temp calibration is a job for a pro to do. Usually a service provided by the gas utility company. Call and ask them if they provide an oven temp calibration test and adjustment. Some do it free while others for a small fee.

Old 01-13-06, 07:08 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FYI. I tried to do a little trouble shooting. I found a document that gives the resistance values of the sensor at different temps. I rigged a potientiometer to the control board to simulate different temps to test the board but that doesn't work. For some reason the oven wouldn't come on with my "test rig" in place and without a schematic I can't do any more. I replaced the sensor and it's doing the same thing so it looks like the control board that's the problem. If anyone has a similar problem I hope this helps.

Thanks again for the reply...