Is it time for a new dyer?

Old 01-09-06, 07:44 AM
2grtboyz
Visiting Guest
Is it time for a new dyer?

I have a GE gas dryer (about 10yo) before Christmas it started to have some problems starting. If I spun the drum backwards it would then start and work fine as long as it didn't cool down. I could stop and start it and it all worked unless it cooled down and then I would spin the drum backwards again and it would start. Well, we went away for the holidays and now I can't spin the drum backwards. So, what do you think it is and should I fix it or go buy a new one?

If I get a replacement how hard is it to install it myself? Being gas and all.

Thanks,
2grtboyz

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-06, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes its time for a new dryer

Old 01-10-06, 05:45 AM
2grtboyz
Visiting Guest
Why?

From everything I have read the deciding factor is weather or not I need to replace the motor. So, do motor go slowly and cause the drum to not spin backwards or is that a sign of something like a roller or bushing?

So, if I do replace it, on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to change it out myself? There is a gas cut off switch on the pipe leading from the dryer to the wall.

Thanks,
K

Old 01-10-06, 08:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello K and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

Before deciding it's the motor or replacing the motor, might be best to determine the cause. The durm is not use to rotating backwards. Therefore the normal wear on the slider/glider pads the drum rotates on, may be the reason why the drum is resisent to rotating forwards.

The drum can be off center as a result of excessive pad wear. Which would also cause the drum to drag in one direction and not so or so much in the reverse direction. Why you have to rotate the drum backwards to get it to start may be more likely cause by excessive wear than the motor.

My suggestion. Inspect the wear parts first before comming to any conclusions or replacing the motor. Make a hand drawing of how the belt loops over and under the pulleys. Than remove the belt from one pulley.

Hand rotate the motor and see if the motor has any hard drag or is difficult to rotate in either direction. If any of the above is present, motor may be defective.

Also rotate the drum and note any differences. Likely to find the same condition exists. Indicating the motor is not the cause but rather the pads the drum rotates on.

Try all the above and post back the results.