Extend a gas dryer vent.

Old 01-11-06, 11:35 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extend a gas dryer vent.

I'm in Maine, so it's darned cold here. I wandered outside today and noticed my dryer's vent creating a plume of steam right up my wood siding and into my soffit vent (it's a one-story ranch, so distance from vent to soffit isn't that far). When I first moved into this house, the original hood&flapper style vent cover directed the exhaust down and out, immediately killing two of the shrubs along the front of the house. I created a deflector to direct the exhaust up and away from the shrubs - plantings doing great, but house possibly not so much now. Can I create an extension to my existing exhaust run? I know I'm limited to how far the exhaust run can be, I've got the specifications from Whirlpool on that. Ideally, I'd like to add about four feet of PVC to get the final point of exit well clear of my plantings and my house. It likely won't be a beautiful thing, but functional and safe is OK by me.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Jon. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

An additional 4 feet should not cause any problems. However, the direction and any angles may. Downwards not a problem. Upwards can cause some problems.

Moist lint is heavy and collects at the lowest points in the ducting. If duct upwards, allow the elbow to be removeable for cleaning out the ducting. Avoid using too many angles and elbows. Below is the list and more infor can be found in the dryer sticky note.

Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Maximum Exhaust Vent Lengths:
4 Inch Rigid Metal Ducting with 4 Inch Vent Hood.
#of elbows:
0 elbows...44 feet
1 elbow....34 feet
2 elbows..26 feet
3 elbows..20 feet

Above With 2 Inch Vent Hood:
0 elbows...34 feet
1 elbow....26 feet
2 elbows..20 feet
3 elbows..14 feet

Maximum Exhaust Vent Lengths:
4 Inch Flexible Metal Ducting with 4 Inch Vent Hood.
0 elbows...24 feet
1 elbow....20 feet
2 elbows..16 feet
3 elbows..12 feet

Above With 2 Inch Vent Hood:
0 elbows...20 feet
1 elbow....16 feet
2 elbows..12 feet
3 elbows....8 feet

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.