Whirlpool Gas Oven does not work all the time

Old 01-16-06, 03:20 PM
mhgolf
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool Gas Oven does not work all the time

It's model Super Capacity 465 with Accubake System. Model GS395LEGB. It is 5.5 years old. What happens is that is generally comes on, heats up to the desired temperature, then sometimes (not always) when it is time to for the burner to come on again, the ignitor (I think) clicks, the gas flows but there is no flame. It does do it all the time, but it is starting to drive me crazy. We had the ignitor (I think) replaced under warrantee when the oven was a year old. Help.

Thanks,
Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-06, 07:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Michael. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Hot surface ignitors usually last some time for 2 or more years. With that in mind, there is always a possibility the ignitor is weak enough to not light the burner but enough to allow the gas control to operate. Which lets gas out without lighting it.

However, before replacing the ignitor, clean the burner in the area where the ignitor is located. The ignition ports (holes/slots) may be restricted. Usually a white powdery substance will be visable on the burner near the ignition ports and hot surface ignitor.

If cleaning does not resolve the condition, ignitor replace would be the next step to solve the problem, in my opinion. Other factors can be a cause but for now try the above cleaning of the burner, note the results and post them back here.

Additional information can be obtained here:
Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."