Dryer problem

Old 01-18-06, 07:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer problem

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a problem with my dryer. Basically, the dryer works fine when I start it. Then after a while it shuts off, before the dial has reached 0 minutes (e.g., I start it at 40 minutes and it stops at around ten minutes.) If I try to reset the dryer it usually has a problem. After I let it sit for a while I try it again, and it works again (for a while.) I tried cleaning the ducts (put a shop-vac thru the vent to blow out any clogs), but that didn't seem to help. I wonder if it is a heating problem, in that the dryer gets too hot and needs to cool down before it can start again. I should mention that I did have a problem over the summer, and found the heat sensor had failed. I replaced it with another. ANy thoughts or advice anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark in Burtonsville

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 08:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Mark. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The venting system after the exhaust at the back of the machine may be clean and clear. But does the exhaust hoods flapper valve (plate) open and close freely? May be the location of the problem.

Another area is the blower fan and it's cage. May be the spot of too much lint restricting air flow. You will need to open the cabinet of the dryer to inspect this area.

Might try a hand air test while the dryer is on. Hold hand at the exhaust hood and note the air flow and if baffle plate is fully opened. If air flow seems restricted, may be anywhere in the venting system. Including the blower fan cage area, exhaust hood baffle plate or in the venting tubing, etc.

All the points noted above should be done to help insure not replacing parts that will not resolve the problem and cause. Once all other possible causes can be assured not to be the problem, ready the sticky note on dryers will provide many other potential causes.

Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.