Burner on Wedgewood stove takes too long to light

Old 01-18-06, 07:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burner on Wedgewood stove takes too long to light

One of the front burners on our Wedgewood stove takes forever to light. Tired of waiting, it is sometimes lite manually. The burner is linked to the pilot flame via a metal tube about 1/2" dia. I think the location of the tube is fixed. The back burner that is linked to the same pilot has no problems lighting.

Unfortunately, the stove is in Northern California and I'm in southern California. But I will be going there this weekend and will try to work on it.

In the past, the manifold and burner has been removed and the inside cleaned with Easy-Off with minimal improvement. The size of the pilot flame can be increased, but I don't remember if it helped.

I may not have internet access while up there, so I will be relying on replies posted by Friday night. Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello davelew and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Very good possibility the ignition ports on the side of the burner head are clogged and or restricted with debris, spill overs and or cleaning chemical. Clearing those ports, as described in the sticky note will solve the problem.

Link to sticky note here:
Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix some problems

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Old 01-19-06, 04:48 PM
D
Thanks for your reply. I've copied the Sticky notes and will be using it as a guide this weekend. Will adjusting the air mixture valve affect how quickly the burner lights? Or is it just used for adjusting the flame of the burner?

Also, there used to be a gasket where the burner mounts to the manifold. But it has fallen apart years ago and has never been replaced. The same for the back burner. But that one always lights. Should I replace the gasket, if one is still available? Thanks.

Old 01-19-06, 08:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Dave

YES. The air shutter opening amount will effect burner ignition. Only needs to be opened enough to remove all the yellow and still the flames to remain on the burner. If opened too wide, flames will lift off burner head and you may hear a blowing type sound. If that results, close shutter some. Each burner will use about the same opening amount give or take some.

YES. If the burner head is a two piece assembly, the gasket must be replaced or it allows flames to burner at th spot where the gasket is defective, damaged and or missing. Which also causes burners to take a long time to light. Fuel is being diverted away from the burner head when a gasket is damaged, etc.

Parts are likely still available or can be ordered at local appliances stores. Take the burner with you to ensure getting the correct gasket. May need to buy a screw and nut. if nut used. Screws, extra set, if screws slots become damaged when attempt to remove them. Nice to have a handy spare....

Old 01-26-06, 12:18 AM
D
I picked up the burner gaskets from an appliance parts house. They were only $1 each. Installed the new gaskets and went through the Sticky notes. But the one burner still took its time lighting.

What I ended up doing was extending the flash tube a little closer to the pilot flame. I took a short section of copper pipe and modified it so that it would fit snuggly over the flash tube. Then I slid it maybe 1/16" towards the pilot flame. Now both the front and back burners light at the same time if I turn them both on at the same time.