Oven Causing Carbon Monoxide?

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-06, 09:34 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Oven Causing Carbon Monoxide?

Hello all, A couple of weeks ago my wife cleaned our propane gas oven with the self cleaning mode. Since then, every time the oven is used it has a strong odor, like something is burning, and it sets off the carbon monoxide detector.
Any ideas what that might be from? Maybe something is down below by the burners and needs to be cleaned out? If carbon monoxide is indeed being generated in large quantities what would need to be replaced?
Can't afford a new range, sure would like to just fix this one.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 06:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Kevin and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

I highly doubt cleaning (generically speaking) an oven will and/or could upset the flame characteristics enough to produce carbon monoxides.

Providing during the cleaning nothing was changed with the burner, it was not removed and replaced incorrectly. The inside plates and/or panels where reinstalled correctly, etc.

No aluminum foil is used to cover any interior part of the oven, including the racks. The vent opening inside the ovens baking compartment is not blocked and or restricted nor is the external vent or grill area. And the burner flames are all blue in color.

Chances are the remaining oven cleaners residue is burning off producing the odor and some invisable smoke particles which will set off a smoke alarm and/or a carbon monoxide detector. I have encounter this same type of incidents (oven cleaning setting off CO detectors) many many times.

Burning dust from heaters, and burning toast also can set them off. False alarms.... Happens here too on rare occassions....

Condition will not or should not continue once oven burns off the remaining residue of the cleaner. Providing all is correct in the oven as noted above. Inspect the interior and clean out any remain food particles, etc.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-13-06, 12:39 PM
K
Thanks for the reply Sharp.

Question regarding the use of aluminum foil. My wife did put a layer on the bottom, in the past she's just used an old cookie sheet, but she wanted more coverage. Is that burning and causing the problem?

Old 01-14-06, 06:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Kevin.

The foil is not burning. But chances are it is covering the holes and slots around the ends and edges of that bottom plate. Doing so restrictes and or blocks air flow needed to allow complete combustion.

Therefore, with the foil usage and the vent holes/slots in the lower plate, the flames are sufficating do to a lack of oxygen. Air enterrs the bottom of the oven, supplies air to the burner and raises upwards with the heat. The foil prevents or restrictes that natural flow. The gas than does not burn completely or fully and CO is produced, regardless of flame color.

DO NOT use foil. DO NOT use flame color as an indicator to determine complete combustion is taking place. Opening either door allows air into the oven. Using visual appearance and flame characteristics of the flames is best left to use pros.

Remove ALL foil from anywhere it is in the oven and/or entire appliance. Allow the appliance to operate in the same condition it was designed to operate in by the manufacturer. Problem should than not result.

Problem was not present before the cleaning, thus it was caused by a change of some type after the cleaning. Usually foil is used and/or parts not reassembled correctly.

Simple logic often resolves more problems than one often thinks it does.....

Old 01-15-06, 05:11 PM
K
I removed the foil and low and behold everything is back to normal. Thanks for the help. Saved me the cost of an oven which is what my wife wanted!

Old 01-16-06, 06:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Kevin

Glad I was able to provide you with the solution that resolved the condition. Happens often. Foil is used in an attempt to keep an ovens surfaces clean. Problem arises when that foil restricts normal air flow.

Foil also restricts the heats rising and changes internal baking compartments temperatures, even if the foil does not block and/or restrict air flow. Foil is an insulator. Reflects heat to some amount. Thus, internal oven temperature will be effected.

Usually causing food items to be under baked on the bottom and over baked on the top of the item. Or some uneven amount based upon how much foil is used and where it is placed, etc. Always best not to use any foil anywhere inside an oven.

Thanks for posting back the results. And for asking the question. Helps everyone else whom reads this thread to learn more too.... I will use this thread by merging it into the sticky note.

Regards and Good Luck.
Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & All Forums Monitor.

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Closed Thread