Lighting wedgewood oven

Old 01-23-06, 11:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighting wedgewood oven

I just moved into a new place, and it has a very cool wedgewood stove. The burners are all in great shape, but I'm not sure how to light the oven. It is a 30" wide wedgewood stove, and you can see a picture of a similar stove here (ours looks the same): http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/30%27w.w.html

Do these ovens have a pilot light that I need to light? Or do I have to light the oven each time I want to use it? I couldn't find any obvious places to look, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-06, 03:03 PM
H
Open the oven door and look on the bottom panel. Does it have a small hole in the front, center of the bottom that says "light here" or similar? If so, you have what is called a match lit oven. This means you have to light the oven manually every time you want to use it.

I word of caution if this is the case. Make sure the oven lights when the valve is turned. If not, gas will accumilate and create an unsafe situation.

Old 01-23-06, 04:23 PM
S
The oven at my old place had a "light here" spot, but this one does not seem to have such an obvious place to light the oven. There could be an unlabeled hole, but I'm not thrilled at the prospect of waving matches around the oven as the gas accumulates to see if it will just light.

My guess is someone who has used a similar oven will have some pointers.

Old 01-23-06, 08:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Steven. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Models from that era in time also had a pilot assembly called a "Bryant" lighter. It has a constant burning pilot flame located on the top. About 1/3 of the way back from the front tip.

If the gas is already on, you'll smell the gas but not see a pilot flame. If the thermostat is turned off, it is okay to use a match to light the pilot flame. Once that is done, watch the pilot assembly as you turn on the thermostat. A pointed flame should appear, facing the burner, at the end of the bryant light.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-24-06, 06:08 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In addition to Bryant safety pilots some were equipped with thermocouple saftey. Look inside storage area for valve with button to push after pilot lights