Portable tank for dual fuel range?

Old 01-25-06, 07:50 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable tank for dual fuel range?

We are working on a kitchen remodel and plan to add a 36in pro-style dual fuel range (probably a Wolf or Viking). We have no gas applicances today and would need to use LP. A salesman at one of our local LP suppliers suggested we use a 50 pound portable tank for the cooktop since our gas consumption would be very low. I did some rough calculations which suggests a full tank could last for 4-6 months based upon our cooking style.

Is this a common practice? Any pros/cons to this concept? Would this lend itself to an easier DIY install than a larger permanent tank/line install?

Old 01-25-06, 05:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello John. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Amount of fuel usage will always be relevent to cooking time. Which will vary. Having a gauge or some device to inform you when to refill the tank would be appropreate. I am not an expert on or with propane. Only natural gas.

What is important is having all aspects of the installation meeting present local codes. May have to inquire at the local office, ask a licensed and or qualified contractor or have the fuel company recommend someone or do the installation for you.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members and/or moderators posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-26-06, 05:19 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would (at a minimum) run the permanent gas lines now and avoid running temporary now and re-run them later. This is especially true of new appliances where warranty issues could come into play if there is a problem. Make sure the proper line size is run for the BTU load of the range. High end cooktop/hybrids (36" models with 6 burners) generally require 75,000 to 100,000 BTU's under a full load.

Running a portable tank as you describe may work in the warmer months but may freeze up in colder (below 30 degree F) weather as the propane may not vaporize quick enough. Keeping a propane tank indoors should not be an option as it is potentially dangerous.

Another thing to keep in mind is the ranges are usually set up for natural gas from the factory and need to be field converted for LP/propane use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: