kenmore dryer

Old 01-27-06, 12:42 AM
marica56
Visiting Guest
kenmore dryer

I own a 92 kenmore dryer. The heat coil heats up and then fades out without igniting. I smell no propane with this action and am not sure which parts to replace. I have the schematic but it looks like it could be one of four parts.
http://www3.sears.com/ is where I found my model: 417-98989130. With no service in my area I would have to take the dryer to town 45min away + labor and parts. The four parts would be easier and cheaper then that.
I could use some help or idea's Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 05:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello marica56. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Rather common problem description when one of the two solenoids, on top of the gas control valve, fails. Replacing them often resolves the problem.

Help can be found in the sticky note: here

Two most likely causes is either the solenoids on top of the gas control valve or the radiant flame sensor on the burner flame hood.

Ohm test the flame sensor with electrical power to dryer turned off or machine unplugged. Ohm meter should show a closed circuit. (Needle swings all the way over to right side of meter.) If circuit closed, sensor is okay.

Solenoids on top of gas valve may be defective. There are two. Any one of them fails both get replaced. Sold and installed in pairs only. Remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

To accomplish this task, the entire burner and gas valve must be removed. Then the solenoid coils can be removed from the top of the gas valve and replaced.

The gas inlet pipe to the right side of the gas valve has a tiny on/off gas shutoff valve. Turn it off, lever opposite it's current on position. The nut on the gas supply pipe near the gas valve is counter threaded, which means it turns opposite the norm to loosen it.

There will be other sheet metal screws securing the gas valve and burner assembly to the dryers base. Once the entire gas valve is removed, take it and the make, model and serial numbers of the appliance to the local appliance retail parts store.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate and replace them both if defective. They are sold only in pairs.

Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

Once at the store, the salesperson can be sure the replacement parts are the correct ones. Replacing the solenoids is simple and the parts come with full instructions inclosed in the packages.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve. This is a non repairable item. Replacement is the only option, if defective.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 01-27-06, 01:49 PM
marica56
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I now know more than I ever wanted to know about dryers ((*_*)) But your help worked. It was the coil solenoids to which I replaced.