Magic Chef Oven Temperature fluctuates

Old 01-28-06, 07:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef Oven Temperature fluctuates

I have a Magic Chef range (approx 15 years old), converted to run on LP. The oven ignites fine, but the temperature is not steady - setting the thermostat for 350 can result in an oven temperature that swings from 275 to well over 400. Consequently we've been burning more than our share of baked goods and cooking roasts much too quickly. Also, it appears that items in the back of the oven are cooking much more quickly than those in the front. Is the thermostat a likely culprit? Is swapping one out a DIY project?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-06, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello khohmann and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Although the thremostat could be the cause, suspect any other cause before assuming the problem is the thrermostat. Thermostats usually do not malfunction in the fashion you're describing.

Uneven heating with wide temperature swings usually indicate foil is being used inside the baking compartment to cover racks and or the bottom panel, etc. Or there is some large pan on the bottom on the ovens bottom plate etc. Suspect any possible caus, other than the thermostat, before assuming any part needs top be replaced.

Be sure the sensing element is in it's correct location, supported by two clips or some means to suspend it but not having it touch or be incontact with anything other than it's supporting clips, etc. No aluminium foil is used and no other a items other than what is being baked is inside the oven when in use.

Read This Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-29-06, 01:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Much Better

Thank you!

Your reply got me looking around the inside of the oven. There's no foil or pan left in place there, but there was a layer of crud coating the thermal sending unit. I cleaned that all the way around and moved the wire connecting it away from the wall of the oven - it seems to be working a lot better now. I ran it up to 350 with two thermometers diagonally placed in the oven, then up to 450 - temperature looked to be constant and accurate at both.

Old 01-29-06, 05:37 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello and Thanks khohmann.

Thanks for taking some time to post back the final results once the actual cause was determined and corrected. Doing so we all learn more. Including other members reading the question and or having a like or similar problem.

Always best to suspect the least likely cause, if one knows what it may be. Which is why this topic and the entire web site is for. Asking pros and getting the most likely causes with the best possible solutions.