Broiler won't light on Caloric Oven

Old 01-31-06, 08:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broiler won't light on Caloric Oven

Hi, thanks in advance for any help.

I have a caloric gas stove/oven about 12 years old with electronic igniters.
About 1 week ago I spilled a tiny amount of water in the crack between the front control knobs and stove surface. Shorlty after, all the electronic igniters started firing constantly on the 4 burners. I shut the power off at the fuse box, and turned back on in the morning. The burners and oven now work fine, but the broiler won't light. Any Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 05:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello JohnH and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Most likely there isn't any relationship between the water incident and the broiler condition. More likely coincidental or the ignitor is weak or burned out. If you are handy with a volt/ohm meter, disconnect the ignitor and test for current at the wire terminal ends that goes to the ignitor. Should be current there when the broiler is on. If there is, the ignitor is burned out.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-05-06, 04:12 PM
J
Thanks. What I think is the igniter has 6 wires going to it, 4 go to the 4 stovetop burners, I assume 1 is input power, and 1 goes to the oven/broiler. If the igniter is burned out from that terminal, I would assume that both the oven and the broiler would not function. Is this correct?

Last edited by JohnH; 02-05-06 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 08:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: John

Basic answer is no. Not likely does one operation (oven) effect the the other. (broiler) Replace the one hot surface ignitor or switch them. Doing so will allow you to note the one good igntior (oven) will allow the broiler to operate. Once that is determined as the cause, weak ignitor, purchase a new one and install it in the broiler. Broiler ignitors usually last longer only because the broiler is more often used less.

Old 02-15-06, 09:20 PM
J
I am assuming from your response that the broiler igniter is seperate from the oven and top burners. Is it part of the ceramic element that sits under the broiler, or would I find it somewhere else. I'm just not sure where the broiler igniter is. Also, I use the broiler much more than the oven, so it is reasonable that it would burn out first.

Old 02-16-06, 05:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: John

If there are two seperate ovens in that model, one will have a broiler while the oven or one of them will not. Broiler ignitor may be on top of the burner or to the left side of it in either above case. You will just need to look for the ignitor to the broiler. Neither oven nor broiler or top burners have any connection between them, except for the electrical power required.

Use the links to the advertisers and those in the related links to the right to see what an ignitor looks like. The broiler has one and so does the oven, if they are seperate compartments. If there is only one oven, the broiler uses the same burner and thus same ignitor.