Maytag Gas Dryer Heating Problem

Old 01-31-06, 08:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Gas Dryer Heating Problem

My Maytag gas dryer burner will not stay on for more than 5 seconds. The glow ignitor comes on, the burner comes on about 15 seconds later and cuts out after about 5 seconds. This same scenario cycles through about every minute. it takes a few hours to dry a load of clothes. I have tried removing the dryer exhaust flex hose and the burner seems to stay on for the duration I have the hose removed (up to 8-10 minutes). Once I re-connect the vent, the burner cuts off and then the process described above starts again. The vent to the outside goes to the roof and from my research, roof venting is not the the best thing for a dryer. Also, I have a plastic flex hose temporarily until I can purchase a rigid exhaust hose. My research also indicates the danger of a plastic or foil looking exhaust hose. Any ideas on how to resolve my problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 05:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello seba_dalkai and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

The exhaust venting system is restricted and or blocked up. Until that problem is corrected the dryer will not operate properly. Should be able to buy a dryer vent cleaning brush kit from local appliance parts store and clean out the exhaust venting. Be sure the exhaust hoods internal flapper door opens and closes freely.

Two other most likely causes is either the solenoids on top of the gas control valve or the radiant flame sensor on the burner flame hood.

Ohm test the flame sensor with electrical power to dryer turned off or machine unplugged. Ohm meter should show a closed circuit. (Needle swings all the way over to right side of meter.) If circuit closed, sensor is okay.

Solenoids on top of gas valve may be defective. There are two. Any one of them fails both get replaced. Sold and installed in pairs only. Remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

To accomplish this task, the entire burner and gas valve must be removed. Then the solenoid coils can be removed from the top of the gas valve and replaced.

The gas inlet pipe to the right side of the gas valve has a tiny on/off gas shutoff valve. Turn it off, lever opposite it's current on position. The nut on the gas supply pipe near the gas valve is counter threaded, which means it turns opposite the norm to loosen it.

There will be other sheet metal screws securing the gas valve and burner assembly to the dryers base. Once the entire gas valve is removed, take it and the make, model and serial numbers of the appliance to the local appliance retail parts store.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate and replace them both if defective. They are sold only in pairs.

Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

Once at the store, the salesperson can be sure the replacement parts are the correct ones. Replacing the solenoids is simple and the parts come with full instructions inclosed in the packages.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve. This is a non repairable item. Replacement is the only option, if defective.

Gas Dryer Help Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showt...threadid=159481

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-03-06, 02:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appreciate the tip.

Thanks for the tip. I put in a maintenance request to clean the dryer vent but before the maintenance tech arrived, I noticed the vent cap on top of the house was bent nearly flat. I climbed on top of the roof and pulled the cap off. The maintenance tech arrived, took the cap to purchase a new one and now the dryer is functioning perfectly.

Old 02-04-06, 05:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: seba_dalkai

Glad to have helped and you where able to have the condition corrected easily. As suspected, a restriction in the venting system somewhere was the real cause of the problem. And one that was, for the most part, very low cost and easily fixable.

Thanks for taking the time to post back the positive results. Doing so help all readers learn more.

Regards,
Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & All Forums Monitor.

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."