Gas Dryer, drum not turning, Humming noise

Old 02-01-06, 05:54 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Dryer, drum not turning, Humming noise

Okay, I've been looking through the forum and haven't seen my exact problem but I'm beginning to suspect it's the motor.

I have an old Speed Queen gas dryer, originally for Natural gas, probably converted to propane >20 years ago.

Yesterday it worked fine (takes an hour to dry the clothes, but does dry them normally). Today when I tossed in some clothes and closed the door, it made a sort of humming noise for several seconds, then stopped. It will repeat this noise every minute or so until the timer runs out, but the drum doesn't turn and it doesn't get hot.

I don't think it's a broken belt, the drum doesn't turn in the one direction and does turn the other way but not freely like I imagine a broken belt would turn. But I don't know, it could be the belt? Maybe off track somewhere? There is no kickplate, I can't see inside without taking the whole front off.

Anyway, I've checked the exhaust flap on the outside of the house, it swings open easily. We have plenty of propane, and the gas stove works fine.

I'm thinking that the motor has seized up somehow? I'm really not sure.

I'd love to give you the model number, but that box (and the serial number box) on the tag are both blank. It's a Speed Queen Heavy Duty Dryer, made by McGraw-Edison. 60Hz, 7amps, 20,000BTU, Manifold pressure 3.5"WC (whatever that means). It came with the house when I bought it two years ago, and based on the story I was told is at least 20 years old now. It looks it.

Any help would be appreciated, though it looks like I'm shopping for a new dryer!

Thanks,
Liz

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 06:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Liz. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Motor could be seized up or the slider/glider pads are worn out. 20 years is a long time and who would know when the machine was fixed last. So we have to suspect the pads, wornout belt and maybe even a motor.

To see inside, you will need to remove the back lower panel. With a flashlight very likely to see the belt and it's condition. Not likely broken or motor would no operate at all. Safety switch would not allow motor to run.

May be the fan blower cage jamming up too. Which means top lid gets lifted up and front panel must be removed. Be sure to unplug the machine or turn off the electrical power.

Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Even though not part of the not running or noise problem, very likely the exhaust venting system is restricted. An hour is usually still too much time to dry a load of clothing but may not be for heavy weight bath towels.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 02-02-06, 11:17 AM
L
Hi, thanks for all the help.

It died so completely that I don't think it's the glide pads, though I'll check those. I have not managed to get the top off, but will try again this evening. It is quite old so I'm not totally surprised that it's died.

Thanks,
Liz

Old 02-02-06, 07:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: Liz

Here is another tip I do not often give out. Open the door. Hold in the door safety button with one finger of one hand, turn on the motor and with the other hand rotate the drum to get it going. Rotates closkwise or should. Use caution not to get hand caught up in drum or rotating parts anywhere.

Drum should begine to rotate on it's own. That proves drum does rotate at least initially. Than let finger off button. Try to wiggle drum up and down and left to right. Should not be much free play in either direction. Also look inside for a coin, pin, etc that may be jamming up the drum against none rotating parts. Post back all results.

Old 02-03-06, 07:20 AM
L
Hi,
I have to admit that I already tried jump starting it with the door open before I posted the first time. I know it's a safety no-no, but with all the sheets in the house wet, it was worth a try. Didn't work.

The drum does not spin clockwise at all, I can spin it counter-clockwise but it's not loose like I imagine a broken belt would be. Does that help any? I'm headed to the used appliance store first thing tomorrow.

Liz

Old 02-03-06, 11:52 AM
Drum rollers need replacement?