Installing natuaral to propane converter kit

Old 02-08-06, 01:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing natuaral to propane converter kit

We recently purchased a Frgidaire stackable washer and dryer. I installed the converter kit as I have others with no problem. However, this model Frgidaire gas dryer has no front botttom panel and worse yet no flame viewing window or panel. The whole front has to come off for any viewing or servicing.
So my question is, How do observe the flame and adjust the shutter on the burner to get the right flame color?? Very perplexing

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-06, 04:45 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello j.caxtell and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

I agree. Very perplexing situation. The design group often does not take into consideration the techs whom have to work on the machinery. The focus is design, low cost and once built, the machine is set for it's service life.

Little thought is given to servicing and or conversions during the planning, design and construction phases. Thus making it difficult for service techs. The assumption is, if a conversion or repair is required and done right, there is no need to see the end results. Plus costs are lower during construction.

If the conversion was done correctly, there really should be no need to make any further adjustments beyond those already set prior to the conversion. However, there should be a rear panel that can be removed to observe the flame characteristics and machine operation. Should be but may not be. Not familar with all brands or models.

Old 02-09-06, 06:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. there is a rear panel but it's intended function is only to re-route the vent to the side panel. It affords no view of the flame and even less access to the shutter.
As I see it I have two options. #1. Cut a small access hole in the front and fashion a homemade cover for it.
#2. Leave the shutter wide open and hope for the best. It should be noted that the original "icecream scoop" burner intended for use with natural gas had no shutter.
The conversion kit ( with identical "icecream scoop") came with a shutter.
So, hopefully it need not use the shutter. This is probably the route I will go unless you think otherwise.

Thanks

Old 02-09-06, 07:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: J.

Best choice would be to leave the air shutter, on the conversion kit, fully opened. Can't do any harm and does far less damage than one that is closed too much. Closed too much soot and odors will be produced. Too much air causes a minor flame blowing effect, much like that of a welding torch.

If you elect to drill a viewing hole, buy a rubber gromet plug. Drill the hole slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the plug. Once the hole is drilled, press the plug into the hole and the task is completed. Not likely needed but possible if you elect to go this route.