Magic Chef 36" 1995 gas oven lacks main flame

Old 01-26-06, 09:55 PM
R
rhm
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Magic Chef 36" 1995 gas oven lacks main flame

Perusing the forum, it is apparent the volunteer(s) have spent a lot of time answering questions - Thank you . Unfortunately, I didn't find anything that quite fit my oven failure.

I have a Magic Chef gas oven, model number 4151WTA, that while the oven pilot light gets lit through the electronic ignition, the main burner doesn't come on. I've run a match along the oven main burner only to see no indication of gas coming out the small holes. The pilot light flame envelops what looks like a sensor wire (I assume that once it heats up, the main oven burner gas is enabled to flow).

Looking through on-line parts catalogs, it looks like the failing parts could be the "oven valve" or the "oven thermostat". Unfortunately, I don't have any diagnostic experience with ovens to determine on which part to focus attention. The parts are not cheap. I'm hoping the problem is that I have to either clean, giggle, or tap the right part. Failing that, prehaps someone has experience to say "oh, the oven thermostat fails 80% of the time."

Old 01-27-06, 04:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello rhm and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Your assumption is very likely to be correct.

"The pilot light flame envelops what looks like a sensor wire (I assume that once it heats up, the main oven burner gas is enabled to flow)."

That part the pilot flame is heating once the pilot flame is ignited, is the safety element. If the pilot flame is all blue and hot, chances are the safety element is burned out. Replacing it should resolve the problem.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-11-06, 07:21 PM
R
rhm
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post repair report

I replaced the oven value / thermocouple assembly at $72. Still did not work. I undid the gas line as it comes into the value, put my thumb over the opening. Turned on the gas, let loose my thumb for a little bit, could hear and feel the gas flow by and turned off. Okay, gas flowing to oven value. The thermocouple was touching the edge of the flame. I removed it from the holder and held it in the flame for about 10 seconds. Nothing. Time to call professional help as I didn't have to experience to figure out what was wrong.

The repair person recommended by the store I bought the stove from was very helpful, even tried to help me diagnose the problem over the phone. Long story short. It turns out that I didn't hold the thermocouple in the flame long enough to see if it worked (he said that it could be up to 90 seconds). With the oven value (the new one) now known to work, I needed a pilot light assembley that cast a bigger flame over the thermocouple after it sparked and lit. Fortunately, he had one ($38) in the truck. The repair person stayed around to make sure the pilot light went to a reduced level after the oven came to temperature. The bill came to $141.

Again, thanks for the help. Maybe next time I'll be able to fix the stove/oven when it breaks. And, maybe my experience may help someone fix their stove by themselves and save some money in the process.

Last edited by rhm; 03-10-06 at 10:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: