New Dryer problem

Old 02-10-06, 10:35 AM
2grtboyz
Visiting Guest
New Dryer problem

Old dryer (10 yo) worked great, until is didn't. Probably a motor problem so we got a new dryer. This one takes forever (1 1/2 hrs) to dry the clothes. The first installation guys made the vent from the dryer to the wall too long. Repair guy came made it shorter and said if you still have problems your vent is clogged. (IE not out problem) He asked where the vent was and when I showed him he said, "No, that can't be it. That's too far away." (About 20ft straight up.) He used his thermal couple to test the temperature with the dryer venting into the room. "Works great, dryer vent problem, have a nice day." So, we clean out the dryer vent. (Do it yourself with a shop vac probably not the best job.) You can see and feel air flowing out of the vent it is definately not blocked.

So, to my questions, why did the old one work but the new one won't? Did dryer technology change that much in the last 10 years? How do I know if it is the dryer, a dirty vent or a too long vent?

Any help would be geatly appreciated,
KAZ

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-06, 04:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello KAZ and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

To determine if the venting system is causing the problem, disconnect it entirely from the machine and dry a load of clothes. The results will prove beyond any doubt if the machine is the cause or the venting system.

20 feet straight up is much too long for a dryers tiny blower motor and fan. The mfg's specifications are in the dryer sticky note. Gas Dryer Help Link: here:

Regards. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-11-06, 10:15 AM
2grtboyz
Visiting Guest
Co

I haven't run a load with it disconnected because of the carbon monoxide issue. Can I run a whole load? You indicated that 20ft was too long for the vent but the old dryer worked, have the blowers gotten smaller? Should I return this dryer and get one with a bigger blower?

Sorry to hound you I'm frusterated,
KAZ

Old 02-11-06, 10:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
No Confusion Meant or Implied on my end...Just help.

Hello: KAZ

What carbon monoxide? Surely you do not think for a minute I would suggest running the machine if I even suspected CO. Not hardly. Perfectly safe. Run the test. Expect heavy moisture, moisture odor, heat and minor lint only from exhaust.

Exhaust vent footage chart in sticky note. Read that.
Directly from mfg'ers instructional pages.

Gas Dryer Help Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159481

Dryers do not have forceful blowers. None do. Nor is the force enough beyond 20 feet. Far less if all or most of footage is vertical. Horizontal is best and the least vertical the better.

Todays machine all have same air flow type blowers. Non more powerful than any others. Have no idea why other machine did not have same problem. Not important now anyway, since that machine is gone. Have to deal with present machine and the conditions it works in, not the prior one or any other one.