Gas stove won't light

Old 02-10-06, 05:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas stove won't light

Had Power go out the other day and now the Kenmore stove will not light. Oven lights up fine so I know I have gas going to the appliance. Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-06, 06:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
More Detailed & Specific Info Requested

Hello Scheck45. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Certainly would like to provide you with detailed and specific information. With the very limited information you provided (2 sentences) almost everything would be speculations.

Kindly use the "Reply" button and add more specific details.

Highly doubt a power surge is the cause or many other electical appliances would have been effected. May not even be related to the power outage.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information and or questions. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-11-06, 09:06 AM
S
Additional information

On the stove when I turn to light on the knobs, I can see the spark on the burners attempting to light, but it does not appear that gas is flowing to the burners. My assumption is that the power failure did this because the stove displayed PF on the control panel. Also shows stove icon on the control panel, don't remember seeing this before. It is a Kenmore appliance and I can use the oven and I get gas through there, just not the stove top. I don't have the manual, so I don't know what the lit up stove top icon on the panel means. Thanks, hope this is enough detail.

Old 02-11-06, 09:43 AM
H
Is there a button with a lock icon? On some ranges the cook top will lockout in the event of a power failure. I believe to unlock these it's the cancel or clear button that has to be pressed in for 3 seconds.

Old 02-11-06, 11:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: scheck45

PF indicates, as you likely suspected, power failure.

As Hank mentioned, look for a lockout, clear, cancel or reset button. May have one. Usually designed to "Child Proof" the burners for their safety. May or may not have any one of the above.

Also try this, if no lockout exists. Unplug for about 3-5 minutes. Than plug stove back into wall outlet or turn power back on. Doing so should "Reset" circuit board back to default mode.

Once again, use reply button, if needed, for additional help, advice and/or suggestions. Do include what you have already tried above and the results, so we know where you are in the diagnostic process.

In needed, call the mfg. Links below provide the web pages and numbers.

STOVES-RANGES-OVENS-BROILERS
For additional helpful information:
Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix most problems

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Old 02-11-06, 09:31 PM
S
Thanks

Pushed in the lock button and it worked, thanks a lot. Appreciate your help.