Gas 101 Question - checking for leaks

Old 02-13-06, 03:50 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Gas 101 Question - checking for leaks

I was just wondering if there is a DIY method to test for GAS leaks after connecting an appliance to the Gas line. I don't smell any gas. I used a pipe "grease" for Gas lines in the fittings.
I just wanted to make 100% sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 08:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello destruct05 and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic

If you recently installed the appliance, the most likely locations for leaks are where the installed parts and or connections where made.

Not the best method but can be used. Mix 1/3 water with common liquid dish soap. Spread on parts with brush and wait and watch for tiny bubbles. Tiny, since no odor is presently noticed. No leaks, wipe off soap with wet cloth.

Best leak detection method is to use "Leak Detection Soap." Mix per instructions. Not having that, a soapy water solution made from commonly used dish soap will do fine. A slightly thick mixture to insure the soapy water remains on the parts and will still allow bubbles to form. A small cupful will do fine for the purpose.

Do not turn off the gas. Apply the soapy water solution using a sponge or common paint brush. Cover every connection location part and point. Especially connection locations you made and some locations which may have been unintentionally disrupted, etc. Then wait and watch.

Wherever a leak happens to be, regardless of how tiny, bubbles will form. Note every leak spots. Allow several minutes, if needed, for additional bubbles to appear.

Tiny leaks create tiny bubbles which may take time to develop. A second application may be required to locate some very tiny leaks.

Turn off the gas, at the gas valve on the supply pipe and make the needed repairs. Then retest the results. Repeat this process until all leaks are located and corrected.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."